Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor

BTWifi-X

The new IOS app creates a connection profile allowing to.connect to BTWifi-X hotspot. Is there a means of getting the same connectivity for other devices/laptops?

Thanks
Distinguished Sage

Re: BTWifi-X

There is a BTWifi app for Android but as far as I know there is no app for Windows so you have to log on through your laptop browser using your master email address and password.

Beginner

@gg30340 I think you misunderstood the question. Connections to BTWifi-X use the 802.1X extensions to automatically authenticate and encrypt the wireless connection (the app creates the connection profile for this with the relevant certificates and/or authentication details). This is easier and more secure. The IOS app introduced this functionality recently, it should be coming to Android soon - any details BT? Nothing that I'm aware of for other platforms.
Beginner

Hi,

Same query really, I have a Windows 7 laptop and can sometimes see a hotspit with SSID 'BT Wifi-X'. Can I connect to this from Windows? If I try I get a Network Authentication pop up askng for a username and password, tried my BT Wifi username/password without success.

The wifi hotspot appears to require authentication, unlike the SSID 'BT Wifi' which is open.

Can't find any mention of BT Wifi-X on the help pages eg

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10897/c/346,1238,2690

Regards,

John

Beginner

John the answer is NO.

The 'BT Wifi-X'  SSID can only be connected to using a profile configured by the app after you have logged in via the app.  Your regular username and password will not work for 'BT Wifi-X'.  At present that SSID is only supported on the Apple IOS app, so only on Apple devices with the BT Wifi app installed & after users have setup the profile for autoconnecting to 'BT Wifi-X'.

Regards

Rich

Expert

[ Edited ]

Hi,

On the BT Press Release on December 16, 2013 :-

http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/showarticle.cfm?articleid=%7B2b5f7e38-2551-47d6-9d01-21f44cb25d26...

it says

"BT can also confirm the forthcoming launch of their first ever Windows 8.1 app delivering automatic wi-fi connection to desktop, laptop and tablet devices. When in range of a BT Wi-fi hotspot, users will see if they are connected as the live tiles on the home screen will change colour to reflect status. "

Does anyone know if one is able to access BTWiFi-X from Windows 7 or 8 yet please ?

If so, could you post some instructions please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
Expert

[ Edited ]

OK, no replies as yet ?  Does anyone on here know anything about BTWifi-X please ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
Aspiring Contributor

Obviously not ???. Very disappointing. I was out today and again attempted to connect to wifi-x via android app and its not happening. It attempts to default back to bt-fon but that connects and says there is an error.

Someone must know how we setup the profile settings in the android up.

Distinguished Sage

This was made available for iphone/ipad and not android and 8 have not read anything since to say that it was being made available to android devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Contributor

I am using iPad. Trying to connect to BT WiFi X will not work because the certificate is not signed. Bring up the BT WiFi app and go to help and settings. Then go to install connection profile. You come to a dead end at certificate not signed.
End of story it seems. Why can I not use it when I am paying for it as part of my BT broadband package? Does anybody know about the signing of the certificate? I can use BT with Fon but it is not a secure link.