Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru

Re: IMAP servers on BTInternet email?

Monterey_Jack wrote:

btinternet.com accounts ARE accessible using IMAP, but they don't advertise it. Anybody who's gone through the automated setup on a BBA phone to access their btinternet.com email account can verify this by looking at the account settings in their phone.

Thanks MJ - this is actually news to me.

Do you know when it was implemented, or perhaps it has for years !

Contributor

Andy, that is why I asked if you were sure!

Contributor

Andy_N wrote:

Monterey_Jack wrote:

btinternet.com accounts ARE accessible using IMAP, but they don't advertise it. Anybody who's gone through the automated setup on a BBA phone to access their btinternet.com email account can verify this by looking at the account settings in their phone.

Thanks MJ - this is actually news to me.

Do you know when it was implemented, or perhaps it has for years !

No idea when it was introduced - the server is imap.mail.yahoo.com, and google has mentions of it going back to at least 2007.

I only noticed it when SHMBO got a BBA S620 phone. It somehow fetches account settings (server names etc - account specific stuff, passwords etc need to be provided) from online somewhere, and that procedure automatically configured her phone for IMAP.

Guru

imacken wrote:

Andy, that is why I asked if you were sure!

Well, strangely I believe I am still correct for mail.btinternet.com - since telnet to it using default port of 143 fails.

But as MJ pointed out, direct use by using the specific yahoo server directly.

So in answer to your original question, then the answer is yes Smiley Happy, rather than my no .....

AJR
Aspiring Contributor

With this thread changing so quickly Smiley Wink I fear my post may get lost so I'll try again.

I have a *****@btconnect.com email address configured on my HTC Hero but as a POP3 account, can this be changed to IMAP, and if so, how?

Contributor

OK, the thread is all messed up, but in answer to your question you should be able to set it up with imap.mail.yahoo.com as the server.
With the BBA phone, it got the settings automatically. Similarly, on my iPhone, I just selected Yahoo from the Apple selection screen and it was setup automatically. If I do it as btinternet.com then it goes to POP.
AJR
Aspiring Contributor

No my phone didn't set up automatically I did it manually, I'm not convinced that ***@btconnect.com will work on Yahoo, can anyone confirm?

I've been looking for the IMAP settings, so glad I found this post.

Trouble is, when I use the imap.mail.yahoo.com as the server, authentication fails. I'm using my @btinternet.com email address as the username. Is this correct?

Do you need to have security enabled or anything?

Aspiring Contributor

Messyhead

yes use your usual @btinternet.com email and no security just port 143

Hmmm, tried that. I'm using a HTC Hero.

Got the username as xxxx@btinternet.com, usual password for logging in.

IMAP Server as imap.mail.yahoo.com

Security type as None

Authentication as Plain

Port as 143, but when it tries to login, it just says Username or Password incorrect.