Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

Turning off BT Wi-Fi on Home Hub 4

Hi everyone,

I have recently got a BT Home Hub 4 and opted out of BT Wi-Fi/FON. It appears that the home hub 4 has stopped broadcasting the BT WIFI and BT WIFI with FON signals but when i login to it it still says Active.

Is this a problem with the home hub 4's firmware and how do i know if my opt out has actually worked 100%

Thanks for your help.

Previously on my BT Home Hub 3 after opting out my home hub changed to BT Wi-Fi Disabled within 24 hours.

Aspiring Expert

Re: Turning off BT Wi-Fi on Home Hub 4

Yes I have the same problem. When you first switch on the new hub it it has the old version software and the BT Wifi/ Fon are not active (assuming that you were Opted Out when you had the old hub). Then about 2 days later the hub 4 updates it's software and the BT Wifi/ Fon become active, even if you are still Opted Out and the BT Fon web is showing the same.

I went back to the BT Fon web page and Opted out again and a couple of days later the BT Wifi/ Fon stopped transmitting however, the Hub Manager is still showing active.

I noticed that under the Troubleshooting tab and in the Event Log and in Category for Open Wifi the TR069 has only disabled the 2.4Ghz and not the 5Ghz as well becuase if you notice that during the software upgrade both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz were enabled by TR069.

This seems to be a software problem as someone else who also picked this problem up in a separate forum on this web site.

You can check if your hub is transmitting the BT Wifi/ Fon by using INSIDDER App.

I hope BT will sort this problem out soon because I need assurance like you that the Hub is not transmitting.

Distinguished Guru

Mine's showing it as not active.

wifi status.PNG

The difference, perhaps, is that I've factory reset my hub.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Aspiring Expert

Ahh, I have not done a factory Reset.

But I did do a factory reset on my old hub (HH2a) and it started transmitting and for this reason I am reluctant to do it on HH4.

My PC, IBM Thinkpad has a graphical Access Connections function and I can keep an eye on BT Wifi/ BTfon in case the hub starts transmitting.

I work from home and security is paramount regardless of what BT claims or anyone else says.

Distinguished Guru

Indeed, a factory reset normally puts BTWifi back on, but did the opposite for me this timeSmiley Surprised

(though I carried out 2 resets a few minutes apart)

BTWifi is separate, but understand your concerns.

Aspiring Expert

Would you agree though that TR069 has to disable both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz before the hub shows inactive on the hub manager page?
Distinguished Guru

Yeah, I'd of thought so.

Expert

Already fed this back to the firmware team via the mods with screenshots etc.
Distinguished Guru

Stuey3d wrote:
Already fed this back to the firmware team via the mods with screenshots etc.

So you also have the same issue as reported on this thread?
 - you've opted out, the signals have gone, but the hub manager says you're still opted in

Expert

Indeed and it's the tr069 commands that are the cause. I noticed this a few weeks ago as I got my hub 4 before most people.