Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Unable to connect to Fon when signal strength is low

Hi. I am new and this is my first post, so please be gentle with me.

I signed up to BT so that I could make use of the mobile WiFi from Fon & Openzone while away in my motorhome. If I get a realy strong signal I have no trouble using the service, however, if I am only showing a signal strength of say 50% I cannot sign up to use the service. Although I am quite happy to put up with a slow connection, I do not have that choice as I cannot get to the log-in page to sign in.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something I can do when this happens?

Geoff

Distinguished Sage

Re: Unable to connect to Fon when signal strength is low

you need a reasonably strong signal to connect

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Distinguished Guru

john46 wrote:
you need a reasonably strong signal to connect

Not always the case John. A weak signal that is stable can and does work. I feel that the OP may in inside their motorhome (aluminiumSmiley Sad) which would affect the signal.....

guanock wrote:

Hi. I am new and this is my first post, so please be gentle with me.

I signed up to BT so that I could make use of the mobile WiFi from Fon & Openzone while away in my motorhome. If I get a realy strong signal I have no trouble using the service, however, if I am only showing a signal strength of say 50% I cannot sign up to use the service. Although I am quite happy to put up with a slow connection, I do not have that choice as I cannot get to the log-in page to sign in.

Am I doing something wrong or is there something I can do when this happens?

Geoff

Hi Geoff and welcome

It should work at 50%Smiley Indifferent. Are you using a laptop with a built in wifi card or a plug in USB wifi adapter?

Via a built in card - If the signal drops have you tried sitting near a window or an open door to rule out your motorhome itself from degrading the signal.

USB adapter - Have you tried using a USB extension lead(s) that you can fix the adapter in a window to maximise the signal strength.

Clearly in both cases you would need to be facing the direction of the signal.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Beginner

Hi DS and thanks for your input.

The answer to all your questions is 'Yes'

I do not necessarily demand a signal inside the motorhome, I quite often move around outside to maximise my chances. By the way I use an Alpha AWUS036NHR Wifi adaptor with either their omni-directional antenna or their own directional 7db panel antenna.

I have thought about getting one of the very high gain omni antennas that are around, but they are a lot of money if they do not work too well.

As I said before, if I get a strong signal I am signed in almost immediately, but with a weaker signal I just can't force the laptop to open the BT log-in page, even though I would be happy to run at a much slower speed.

Geoff

Distinguished Guru

Hi Geoff

I would say that the omni directional antenna would be better when moving around outside, other may have their own thoughts.....

A quick google does say that your wifi adapter has a download date of 21/10/12, which could mean that there has been an update. I did also find this page, if it helps - http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=105397

Having an up to date driver is always a good ideaSmiley Wink

Beginner

Thanks DS

I missed that sotware update!!! However I am struggling to install it as the video on the web page is impossible to see clearly???

I will persist in this but it will be difficult without the instructions (I am not too clever with such things)

Geoff

Distinguished Guru

Not sure if this would help, but there are several (poor qualitySmiley Sad) videos on Youtube from the supplier, this one looks to be the clearest of them all - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7j6eMlm-qA&feature=BFa&list=ULsSwygZzUfas

Beginner

Thanks again DS

Much better quality video than the one on Alfa web site.

Having updated driver I will now need to try the Wifi again, fingers crossed for better results.

Geoff

Distinguished Guru

Hopefully it will improve.

Let us know how you get on.