cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 36

0.125mbps Broadband Speed! - IP Profile set to low - Terrible BT customer service

I have been getting a speed of 0.125mbps for about 2 weeks now.  I have telephoned the Indian call centre, and they really dont know what theyre doing.  It seems quite obvious that they are all reading from a script asking me the same questions over and over again - "is it a wired connection or wireless"  "what sort of phone socket do you have"  One bloke even said to me "the only way you will get a faster speed than that,  is to upgrade to BT Infinity".   Now I cannot get BT Infinity in my area as I live out in the sticks - he quite clearly had no idea, and thought this would be a good way to get me off the phone.

Previous to all this,  since November and up until a few weeks ago I have been getting around 1 - 1.5 mbps, which I could just about deal with,  but frankly still unacceptable.  The advertised speed is 8mbps,  and BT say I should be getting 7.5mpbs.   Id be happy with 4-5mbps to be honest - I understand that rural areas have slow connections, thats fine,  I can deal with that - but what Im getting is pathetic!

It appears that my IP profile has been set to 0.125 for some reason.   I have made the Indians aware of this, and they have said they will get this changed, and it will be working better within 12 hours,  but still nothing. - They have told me this 3 times.

I sent an email to BT stating that I was unhappy with the service, and would contacting trading standards/offcom about cancelling my service, due to BTs inability to provide a service that Im paying for,  and I received a call from someone at BT from the UK, who said they would do everything to get this right, and call me back tomorrow.  Did they call me back?  Of course not!

This evening I have called BT again, going through to the "Cancel my Service" option on the phone,  just to see if I can get this sorted out once and for all.  Spoke to a very understanding bloke,  who asked "Why would you pay for 0.125mbps when you should be getting 7.5"  -"Absolutely mate" I said,  and he told me that he will get it sorted out and needed to speak to another department and would put me on hold.  He kept coming back and apologising for the delay, which I didnt mind as I thought I was getting somewhere.   Sadly I waited 25 minutes with nothing but hold music, and in the end I gave up.  

Ive had enough now,  Ive seen people on these forums have had a bit of luck, so Ill try here, before I start writing letters.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: 0.125mbps Broadband Speed! - IP Profile set to low - Terrible BT customer service

welcome to the community forum where members help members

probably the same questions you have already been asked but in order for the forum members to help please can you post the   adsl stats  from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) bt speedtester  and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 36

Re: 0.125mbps Broadband Speed! - IP Profile set to low - Terrible BT customer service

your profile is a function of your connection speed so the higher your connection speed the higher the profile - not the other way round.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here are some help pages done by CL Keith http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/speed/Speed.html

also post your full hub stats details shown in this link http://www.btinternet.com/~cbeddoe/others/adslstats.html

Can you also post the full results fromBT Speedtest speedtester.bt.com

Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 36

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:18:06
Downstream: 1.656 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 19.2 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 17.0 dB / 9.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 19.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 5
CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 19

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 36

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:18:06
Downstream:1.656 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):19.2 dB / 12.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):17.0 dB / 9.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 5
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 19
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 36

with your attenuation I would expect a connection speed of 8mb.

what about test/master?

quiet line test?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 36

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.01 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps. Additional Information: Your DSL Connection Rate :1.7 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM) IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 36

your connection time is very low is that due to the hub dropping connection or was it you doing resets to try and improve the connection speed.  the resets have resulted in a low profile due to a low speed causing very low download speed  resets are the worst thing for your connection

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 36

Ive got a twin BT wall socket.  Its the only one in the house.  It done the quiet line test - all is quiet.  Im not that knowledgable about this stuff to be honest

0 Ratings