0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 38

Re: 0121 314 0001 nuisance silent call

@Marvin wrote:

I see BT's apologists are out in force today. 😞

It wasn't an apology, just a plea for you to remove your blinkers before you squawk.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 38

@Marvin wrote:

Lots of people receiving calls at unsociable hours from just a few numbers.  If BT were serious then they could block these.  Of course, BT makes money out of carrying the calls and can charge us if we are forced into using its blocking service.

Result = increased profit for BT.

Result = 2 disturbed nights for my wife and me but, hey, who cares when there's money to be made.

Oh to be free of this odious company...

Hi.

This has affected lots of companies, not just BT (e.g. Virgin - they have similar reports on their forums). According to Ofcom, the number range 0121314 is allocated to Magrathea Telecom.

0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 24 of 38

And this is on their web site:

Magrathea Service Status

12:42 07/03/2012 Nuisance Calls

We are aware that a number of people are complaining about a phone number from within one of our ranges making calls to them during the night. We have carried out a full investigation and can confirm that these calls are not originating on our network and this appears to be a case of CLI spoofing, which means that this is outside of our control. However, we are sharing relevant information with our industry contacts to help them to investigate further.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
jml
Beginner
Message 25 of 38

Our call was at 00.49 this morning.  Also like everyone else we were woken up and immediately thought there was a family emergency.  Something must be able to be done to stop these calls. Hopefully 'people in high places' will also get the calls and thren maybe the calls will be stopped. 

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 38

@toekneem wrote:

And this is on their web site:

Magrathea Service Status

12:42 07/03/2012 Nuisance Calls

We are aware that a number of people are complaining about a phone number from within one of our ranges making calls to them during the night. We have carried out a full investigation and can confirm that these calls are not originating on our network and this appears to be a case of CLI spoofing, which means that this is outside of our control. However, we are sharing relevant information with our industry contacts to help them to investigate further.

Hi.

I read that after I posted, but I don't in any way blame them or anyone in particular.

I've tried to find another similar case to this, but have come up blank. There's plenty about cli spoofing, and a couple of "services" that seem to allow it - but nothing on this scale.

It almost looks like some form of private network switch has gone rogue, or been hacked to do this - As it has happened over a couple of nights now, it's a little weird that the CLI hasn't been altered to something else.

Hopefully there are digital systems in the telephone companies that can interrogate the messages between the exchanges to ascertain the exact injection point and cause.

0 Ratings
Kwimper
Beginner
Message 27 of 38

02034554011 called at 04.15 this morning. A silent call. Whole family woken up for the second night running. We have the Telephone Preference Scheme and until these calls have not received many sales calls, only a few daytime ones which are 'international'. Whilst I recognise that BT cannot stop people ringing our number, and other operators are experiencing similar problems, who else should we turn to to sort this out? Like everyone else, I have paid thousands of pounds to BT over the years for line rental and call charges. I think it is therefore reasonable to expect this organisation to protect us, and take action on our behalf. It is after all, the most qualified to do so.

If we want this resolved (and I can't believe just how disruptive these 2 calls have been) we have to rely on BT's help. Otherwise, it is time to disconnect the phones at night (a potential emergency risk), change our number (hassle) or report it to the police as harassment.
0 Ratings
toekneem
Distinguished Guru
Message 28 of 38

@Kwimper wrote:
02034554011 called at 04.15 this morning. A silent call. Whole family woken up for the second night running. We have the Telephone Preference Scheme and until these calls have not received many sales calls, only a few daytime ones which are 'international'. Whilst I recognise that BT cannot stop people ringing our number, and other operators are experiencing similar problems, who else should we turn to to sort this out? Like everyone else, I have paid thousands of pounds to BT over the years for line rental and call charges. I think it is therefore reasonable to expect this organisation to protect us, and take action on our behalf. It is after all, the most qualified to do so.

If we want this resolved (and I can't believe just how disruptive these 2 calls have been) we have to rely on BT's help. Otherwise, it is time to disconnect the phones at night (a potential emergency risk), change our number (hassle) or report it to the police as harassment.

Even the TPS cannot help with any silent call:

The remit of TPS lies strictly within the boundaries of live unsolicited calls of a sales/marketing nature. It does not stop other call types such as recorded/automated messages, silent calls, market research, overseas companies, debt collection, scam calls, nuisance and abusive calls etc.

Silent calls should be dealt with via OFCOM:

Silent calls are generated by companies using power or predictive dialling equipment when making outbound calls. A power/predictive dialler is an automated dialler which can store, access and automatically dial telephone numbers which should match operator availability. However some companies may not have set their dialling rate correctly and this means that individuals are receiving calls, where upon answering there is silence.
Registration with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) does not stop the receipt of silent calls. Please report receipt of silent calls to the Telecommunications Regulator, Ofcom, to enable them to look at trends in complaints being made and where possible identify those companies who are not complying with the regulations surrounding such calls. Their details are:
Ofcom
Riverside House
2a Southwark Bridge Road
London
SE1 9HA
Tel: 02079813000
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/privacy/silent-call/
Alternatively you can seek further help and advice regarding silent calls from your line service provider.

It might help consumers if there was only one contact point for complaints about Calls/faxes/sms's or anything via the telephone system, instead of having the TPS(which is paid for by these same marketing companies, not by the government) the FPS and Ofcom, and the ICO. At the moment someone deals with one type of call, someone else deals with another. The TPS you can complain Online, OFCOM (not sure). The ICO have 6 forms to download print Off and send back, 75p postage. (never been able to get their online form return system to workSmiley Frustrated

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Kwimper
Beginner
Message 29 of 38

Reported to Ofcom. Thanks.
0 Ratings
MrsShacks
Beginner
Message 30 of 38

We had the same call at midnight last night (19th Feb 2013). The phone was in the same room as our sleeping baby! Like other complaints, we have older relatives and calls in the middle of the night cause us to worry.
0 Ratings