cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stewart1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

0333 numbers

I have been charged for calls to 0333 numbers but can not find where in my contract it specifically advises of this, calls to BT have resulted in me being told that 0333 numbers are special service but this is not clear, are some 0333 calls included in my anytime calling package and others not? If so how do you possibly know when you may be charged.

The calls I have been billed for are calls to Vodafone (enough said) and I do not recollect a message to advise calls may be charged.

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 14

Re: 0333 numbers

Calls beginning with 03 should be billed as if they were normal land-line calls.

However,  BT's price list does have a bit of weasel-wording when it comes to what calls are free in any call package you may have signed up to.  They say:-

UK means calls of up to an hour to Local and National numbers beginning 01, 02 and 03. Excluded calls include non-geographic numbers (e.g. 0871), Premium Rate services, operator-controlled calls, calls to the internet, information and paging services, local, national and all non-geographic numbers used to dial up ISPs, other non-voice calls and calls to the Channel Islands.

So 03 numbers are classed as normal land-line calls, except when BT decides they are not.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

03 numbers are not a special service. Under Ofcom rules, they must be charged or included in packages exactly the same as 01 and 02 numbers.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 14

Ectophile wrote:

1. UK means calls of up to an hour to Local and National numbers beginning 01, 02 and 03. Excluded calls include non-geographic numbers (e.g. 0871), Premium Rate services, operator-controlled calls, calls to the internet, information and paging services, local, national and all non-geographic numbers used to dial up ISPs, other non-voice calls and calls to the Channel Islands.

2. So 03 numbers are classed as normal land-line calls, except when BT decides they are not.

How does 2 follow from 1? No provider, BT included, has the option of treating any 03 numbers differently from 01 and 02 numbers.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

That appears to be how BT have worded it in their price guide.  The normal price of a call to a land-line is 19p + 11p/minute.  A call package will give you free calls to "UK* National & Local numbers" where the * refers to the exclusions noted earlier.

So that implies that a non-geographic number may be charged at the standard rate even if you have a calls package.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

@Ectophile wrote:

That appears to be how BT have worded it in their price guide.  The normal price of a call to a land-line is 19p + 11p/minute.  A call package will give you free calls to "UK* National & Local numbers" where the * refers to the exclusions noted earlier.

So that implies that a non-geographic number may be charged at the standard rate even if you have a calls package.

I'm not so sure but, if anyone interprets it that way, they'll be in for a nice surprise. The point is that BT cannot decide not to class 03 numbers as normal landline calls as you suggested in Message 2.

--
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

0 Ratings
Stewart1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Thanks to all who are offering feedback to my query. It seems to me that a very grey line exists with 03 or 0333 numbers.

Whilst arguing/discussing with the billing department I also found a similar ofcom article suggesting 03 calls should be included in a calls package.

I think BT seriously need to look at this, as a consumer I think it is unacceptable not to know when you will be billed for a call.

Should this be reported to Ofcom for their input? If so, what us the best way to do this?

Thank you.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

Ofcom don't deal with individual complaints. They will only give you advice about how to complain to BT.

0 Ratings
Stewart1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

So who do BT answer to as we all know what they'll say to me when I complain. Surely this complaint had been raised before, if so can I ask BT for details of a previous complaint?
0 Ratings