cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wush786
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

1.5 miles from cabinet

hi all . iv read up that people who are over a mile long from the cabinet wont be able to have fibre from the cabinet ( fttc ).

but we are in 2016 now . isnt there a way of having fibre to my house if im 1.5 miles from the cabinet ? like a booster of some sort ?.

as iv been waiting for 7 years to get fibre an now my area everyone can get it besides me an a neighbour in mid wales ( Cemmaes ) bcoz we both 1.5 miles away from the cabinet .

we used to be on a exchange only line now we been put on cabinet 5 which is 1.5 miles . 😞

any solution of help would be much appreciated.

Telephone Number 016505**** on Exchange CEMMAES ROAD is served by Cabinet 5

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 2--1.5 to 4Available
ADSL MaxUp to 1.5--1 to 3.5Available
Fixed Rate1----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: 1.5 miles from cabinet

Unfortunately not. The checker results you have posted have confirmed that you're too far from the cabinet to receive any FTTC (VDSL2) connection I'm afraid. I suggest getting in touch with superfast wales - http://www.superfast-cymru.com
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

The cabinet you are connected to is not Fibre enabled other wise it would show FTTC as an option.

Even if it was enabled, the distance that you are from the cabinet, about 2.5km is getting to the limit that the VDSL (Infinity) signal can travel so you would get very slow speeds.

BT would not sell you the Infinity product because they can not sell it if the speed is below 15Mbps. Instead they would sell you Faster Broadband with Fibre, which is basically the same product in all but name.

If you have a look at this graph it will give you a rough guide of speed over distance on a perfect line.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

There is some FTTP planned for your exchange. If you would like to PM me your postcode (so that it's not out here on the public forum) I'd be happy to take a look into it further for you to see if I can shed any more light.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
wush786
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

on cymru broadband website it states this :

Your cabinet is live however, due to distance from the cabinet or other factors you are not able to access fibre broadband just yet. We are currently exploring solutions for your area, please register and we'll keep you posted.

cabinet is alrdy done an so is the exchange people down that side of the area can already order 15mb an more .

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

The cabinet is live gg. I've checked the Openreach where and when site and it's now accepting orders. The reason no speed is shown is because the OP is too far from the cabinet.
0 Ratings
wush786
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

sy20 9pz is my postcode
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

I think you really need to get in touch with Superfast Wales personally rather than relying on their checker. 6 properties show up in your postcode. 4 of them are planned for FTTP, 2 of them, 1 which I assume is yours, is connected to cabinet 5 and can't get FTTC service from cabinet 5 (but at the moment neither can the other 4 properties). Now, this doesn't mean you won't be included in the FTTP when it's rolled out to the others in the postcode, as the cabinet you're on is not relevant to FTTP.

I think you need to seek clarification from Superfast Wales but to me, it would seem silly for them to not include yours and your neighbours in the FTTP plan when they're already doing part of that postcode, given that you can't access any other fibre based service.

0 Ratings
wush786
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

your right there 4 people on my postcode but only me an my neighbour who are on cabinet 5 . 

so from what i understand from you is theres planns for fttp ?.. or am i mistaken ?

thankyou 

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

The other 4 properties in your postcode have been associated with a "new" cabinet or exchange group bundle which may or may not yet have been built. This cabinet or prospective cabinet is showing as fttp planned, and the other 4 houses in your postcode are linked to that "cabinet".

As I said above, the cabinet you're on is not relevant for FTTP and I'd imagine that if FTTP is coming to your postcode, that your property will be covered by it. Especially given the fact you can't get access to FTTC services due to your distance from the cabinet.

I suggest speaking to Superfast Wales who will hopefully have more information about the planned rollout.
0 Ratings