cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
froschling
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

10 day Circuit stabilisation period - What actually happens ?

Is there anyone who can explain what happens during the ten day circuit stabilisation period and suggest what speeds might be presented during this time ?

In their introductory documentation - which I'd encourage everyone to read - BT say that low speeds or even no broadband at all  are possible as the circuit stabilises. It would help to understand why this is and why it takes so long to stabilise.

Thanks !

John

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Razorman
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: 10 day Circuit stabilisation period - What actually happens ?

Nothing happens, your installation speed on the day of install will be the max u can achieve, after that it may drop by 4 or 5 mb sec across the 10 days, it may not.

peak times will see a slowdown of up to 20%.

Overall the speed u get on the day of install will be close to what it stabilises on - the 4-5mb.

0 Ratings
froschling
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Many thanks for your reply.

Does that mean I can expect a download speed of 25Mbps when the service finally stabilises ? It seems very stable at 3MBps at the moment ;-(

What I'm looking for is for someone to tell me what sort of speeds they saw over the ten day stabilisation period to see if my experince so far is typical or unusual.

I'd am also interested in understanding tha actual mechanism that drives the process in as simple language as possible.

0 Ratings
geejaybee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

I had my BTI installed yesterday and at the start I was getting 38MB d/l and 8MB u/l. The upload was less than I expected because the BT estimate was the full 11MB. (I live approx 100 mtrs from the fibre cab). At abot 11:30 pm last night the connection dropped and I could not get it reconnected so as it was late I left it until this am and it was back on when I got up.

However today tests show a marked decrease in u/l speed (4-5MB), but more worryingly pingtest.net tests show consistent packet loss ranging between 2% and 35% and a fair amout of jitter as well. The "grading" given has varied between "C" and "F" and I am unsure whether to contact BT or wait for the 10 day period ????

0 Ratings
NinjaZXR
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

@froschling wrote:

Does that mean I can expect a download speed of 25Mbps when the service finally stabilises ? It seems very stable at 3MBps at the moment

I can see by your post here you are having some problems, hopefully they'll get sorted quickly, unlike mine Smiley Happy

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Infinity-Download-speed-drops-from-to-less-than-my-old-bro...

There doesn't seem to be a typical Infinity install, some go smoothly, others are (let's say less than smooth)

If your running well and your profile is 38717, expect download speed of around 4.6MB

Run the speed test at http://www.speedtester.bt.com to get your current profile

Your profile should only get lowered if the line management detects instability.

@geejaybee wrote:
I am unsure whether to contact BT or wait for the 10 day period ????

If your connection drops out report it, it's not normal and may need investigating.

Keep note of what lights were on or off on the modem and hub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32288

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

@Razorman wrote:

Nothing happens, your installation speed on the day of install will be the max u can achieve, after that it may drop by 4 or 5 mb sec across the 10 days, it may not.

peak times will see a slowdown of up to 20%.

Overall the speed u get on the day of install will be close to what it stabilises on - the 4-5mb.

That's a rather pessimistic view.  In practice you speed can go up or down unpredictably, and you may experience disconnections from time to time (though it should always re-connect again pretty quickly).

The system is trying to find the fastest speed your line can support.  If the line seems stable, it may bump the speed up a bit an see if it remains stable.  If it's unstable, it will lower the speed to see if that helps.

It's anyone's guess whether the line will take the full 10 days to train, or just pick the right speed from the start and stick with it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 15

@geejaybee wrote:

I had my BTI installed yesterday and at the start I was getting 38MB d/l and 8MB u/l. The upload was less than I expected because the BT estimate was the full 11MB. (I live approx 100 mtrs from the fibre cab). At abot 11:30 pm last night the connection dropped and I could not get it reconnected so as it was late I left it until this am and it was back on when I got up.

However today tests show a marked decrease in u/l speed (4-5MB), but more worryingly pingtest.net tests show consistent packet loss ranging between 2% and 35% and a fair amout of jitter as well. The "grading" given has varied between "C" and "F" and I am unsure whether to contact BT or wait for the 10 day period ????

BT will not investigate speed problems during the 10 day training period, so there's little point in asking.

Disconnections are normai during this period.  The line should settle after a while.

0 Ratings
froschling
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Many thanks everyone for your comments. They've been really useful.

BT - through Dean on this forum - responded to my queries relating to the 3Mbps speed and checked the line for me confoirming it to be connecting at about 37Mbps.( I've had my system since 3JUN)

That suggested that had to something wrong with my workstation. I repleced the ethernet cable and immdietly the download throughout went back to the level I got on installation - 25Mbps. . There nothing obviously wrong with the cable if you look at it but it's defintely faulty.

So many thanks BT for responding and taking my question sseriously. It allowe dme to think about what else might affect throughput and has, I hope, provided me an answer.

Incidentally I'm connected by ethernet to the Gigabit Ethernet port and the workstation reports a full duplex 1GB connection.

Thanks again everyone

John

0 Ratings
xstitcher64
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

I'm in the middle of my stabilisation period and am seeing really poor speeds - i.e. uploads of sub 1MB. I've now got my main PC on a direct cable to the home hub and will see if that helps - as previuosly it was on devolo power plugs. I;ve had some great speeds but it seems to be bad more than good. 

Should I consider resetting the router and hub as there is conflicting advice on different threads so I'm unclear on what to do. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Resetting the router should cause no problem with the Digital Line Management system as that is only looking at the modem. Indeed a few modem resets are unlikely to be an issue. The DLM is operational on your line at all times not just for the first 10 days. If there are lots of resets the system thinks that the line is unstable and reduces the IP and applies interleaving activating better error correction.

The DLM sets the IP profile for your line which is the maximum throughput your line can handle up to the capped max for download of 38717 kb/s which equates to sync of 39999 kb/s. You can check what your IP Profiles are by running the BT Speedtester - probably all its good for at the moment as the throughput it reports seems to be random. If your actual speeds measured by something like Speedtest.net are quite a lot slower than the IP profile suspect your network first e.g. wireless issues, wrong network drivers etc, the hub or router and lastly a BT backhaul issue. 

0 Ratings