cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 51 of 76

Re: 100gb Cap Unreasonable

Mmmmm, its difficult, they seem to target all, rather than pick on the pirates which I would imagine this is designed for, I suppose its a cheaper way of getting to these guys and girls, however at least Bt and others are challenging the very dodgy Digital bill, which could have a massive effect on all of us. Really anything that was  backed by that peer and Lord of Darkness, we should be very worried indeed.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
JJ452
Beginner
Message 52 of 76

Yeah but 100GB for a family of 6 is just insane. That leaves 17GB per person, if I download a game from steam then my allowance is gone for the month. I also use it for work and the CVS check out is about 1GB (or about 16GB a month). I guess this is currently only aimed at those homes with 1/2 two users, next generation indeed...

0 Ratings
morsing
Contributor
Message 53 of 76

OMG Smiley Surprised  Every time I see one of these discussions I get more gob smacked... How can anyone even get close to 100GB in a month?! No, I don't want to know...

It's July and sunny outside! Why don't you all go out, play some ball and enjoy the sun?! And in the evening you can play a game with the kids or maybe just talk to each other. Just a suggestion Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 54 of 76

Sunny, you are not in the Uk, just on my last day of annual leave 16 days off its not rained for 3 of those.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
adamwebb28
Contributor
Message 55 of 76

Morsing, trust me, its very easy. And no, that doesn't mean I do anything illegal! All of my family use the internet alot, whether it be gaming, streaming films, music etc, it all adds up very quickly. I've done about 70gb already this month! I reckon about 20 gb has been done by my mum and dads blu-ray player alone!
0 Ratings
JJ452
Beginner
Message 56 of 76

What is more baffling is that if the problem is peak hours, why do they monitor your off peak usage also? Sure if you using excessive amounts during that time then a cap is fine but you are getting punished for using the network off peak also. It should be if you use 100GB peak time bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Sweeney47
Aspiring Expert
Message 57 of 76

I agree JJ452, if people are (like me) downloading games off steam starting at 2AM or other things then this has no affect on the network, you're not affecting anyone else with it, it should not be 'punished'

However, Peak time only usage monitoring is a perk of having BT Business broadband so if it were to be the same with residential broadband they'd lose a selling point so im wondering if that is why Residential usage is recorded outside peak times.

0 Ratings
Etchyz
Beginner
Message 58 of 76

I've been researching this matter all day and I think BT maybe in breach of Ofcom regulations regarding this issue.

Basically, BT doesn't mention anything about a 100gb cap on usage anywhere (that I can find anyway)

You don't find out about this cap until it's too late to cancel your contract, which I would have done straight away, and because they don't mention this they have broken the rules.

Upon accepting regulations to this forum I don't think I can post any official BT stuff until I have written consent.

So, If you all check your emails when you signed up you'll see that BT mention something about if you don't have enough usage you should upgrade to an unlimited package where you can do anything you want and not have to worry, yet this is subject to their BT Broadband Fair Usage Policy

which you can read here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10495/c/346

If you look at the table in section one, there is a monthly usage allowance described as 'Unlimited*'

The * is quoted underneath as saying 'Subject to Network Management', which goes on to say that once you hit 80% of your usage you'll be sent the email about usage. Nowhere does it say anything about 100GB, and as anybody who has basic maths skills will tell you, 80% of unlimited is impossible, because unlimited is not a number and it is most certainly not 100GB.

If you scroll down to sections 3 and 4, the information is misleading and seems to make you think that unlimited will give you everything you want (as it should). Section 4 includes unlimited broadband in describing the caps that will happen if you breech your criteria, but the criteria is not there. It doesn't say 100GB anywhere.

That is why I think BT is in breech of the following Ofcom code of practice.

To see it for yourself, look here:  http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/codes-of-practice/broadband-speeds-cop/voluntary-codes-of-...

In section '5th Principle' (numbers 33 and 34) you will find this

33. ISPs must use their best endeavours to set out clearly, and in a prominent place on their websites (e.g. within help or FAQs sections), information relating to their respective policies on fair usage; traffic management and traffic shaping to cover, at a minimum, the matters set out below.

Fair usage policies and usage limits

34. The ISPs should publish, in a clear and easily accessible form, any criteria they use for determining breaches of its fair usage policy (e.g. total usage, specific percentage of users etc).

It is this that I think will make it ok for me to contact an ombudsman to cancel my contract with BT. Basically, they were not clear, and in doing to breached those two rules.

I have sent a letter to BT, but I have just sent it today (I got the email today). I also called Ofcom for advice and they told me I was right and gave me the address to send my complaint to. I'm meant to wait 8 weeks for a reply (maximum), before I can contact an ombudsman for free and get them to sort out this whole mess for me.

I would also like to say that I've never had this problem with any other company, it's just BT.

0 Ratings
sonyboy
Beginner
Message 59 of 76

100gb cap is  crazy in this day and age  of digital media  ,,,,  its like  hey  here is a Bugatti Veron   but the tank only holds 5 litres of fuel 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Mordag
Aspiring Contributor
Message 60 of 76

Personally, I think this is going to end up with metered charges just like eventually we'll all have water meters. We know capacity is finite (and any given step in the technology evelotion, there just needs to be an equitable way to share it out. 

Anyway, being a 30GB user I don't like to feel I am cross-subsidizing all those people who are hogging capacity who, apart from anything else, have a tendency to ensure musicians and other artists don't get paid for their efforts. These are the people who'd rob a blind newspaper seller if they had a chance.

The biggest telecom industry rip-off ever, though, is text messaging. Ever stopped to work out the cost per MByte? I guarantee you won't believe it.

0 Ratings