cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

13 day wait for phone repair in Suffolk

My father has just changed to BT and gone onto broadband for the first time.  His landline in Suffolk went down on 20 December.  Initially, he could dial out but incoming calls failed or were diverted to voicemail.  After many calls to the BT call centre, and diverting incoming calls to his mobile, the fault was marked up online as repaired today.  In fact, the phone is now completely dead, so I have reopened the fault on line.  Presumably he will now go back to the bottom of the pile.  I appreciate that recent floods and winds have probably caused major disruption, but the slowness of the repair, his difficulty in understanding the call centre staff (he is 92 and hard of hearing), and the complete lack of any update or explanation of what is going on are all very disappointing and indicate poor customer service and customer care to me.  I am particularly suprised that the fault should have been indicated as repaired when no successful call to test the line had been made to his number.  Any suggestions or information would be welcome.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Message 2 of 8

Re: 13 day wait for phone repair in Suffolk

The same thing happened when I reported our phone line was dead - I checked online for fault tracking & found it had closed the record as it has been repaired (obviously it had not) so I gad to reopen it & now we have yet another estimated repair date 4/1/13 although looking at these forum posts it seems it will be much longer! It will then be at least a week with no phone or broadband. Not good enough.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Hi I am in exactly the same boat, my line went dead on 27th dec and was told it would be fixed by 5 o,clock today. Well surprise surprise it's not fixed!! Just got off the phone to a call centre in India who had no idea what was going on. After a half hour on the phone to him he has now told me the fault will not be repaired until the 8th January. I am absolutely disgusted with the service and will be changing providers ASAP when the line Is fixed end. My calls are being diverted to my mobile, but I am now getting all sorts of calls, sales, PPI, and ones that don't speak when I answer!  They retried to blame the bad weather but we haven't had any in this part of the country ( apart from the odd downpour) not anything like the other parts of the country. Sorry for the rant, but totally agree with the poor service we receive from BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

@annft wrote:

They retried to blame the bad weather but we haven't had any in this part of the country ( apart from the odd downpour) not anything like the other parts of the country.

Hi

Engineers have been moved from area to area to cope with the influx of faults generated by the floods and high winds, so although you have not seen any bad weather locally to you you can be assured that engineers are not just sitting around with nothing to do.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I have been waiting 15 days and no sign of our fault being fixed. I have been abroad for three months but did not disconnect my phone so that I would have the phone and broadband available over Christmas and New Year. When I got home on 20th Dec the phone was faulty. I have found the level of customer service unbelievably poor from the start but it seems to be getting worse and there is just no-one I can complain to apart from the call centres which are a complete waste of time.

The details so far:

Line is too noisy to hear person at other end. This is the same fault that we have had on 5 or 6 occasions before during the twenty years we have lived here. Usual cause is water in junction box outside house. Last reported in March 2011

20/12/12 16:15
Fault reported by phone using mobile as not possible to report fault via bt.com
Someone in India tested the line and told me there was no problem with it.
Emgineer scheduled for 28/12/12

28/12/12
09:00 Engineer came out and inspected the junction boxes. Apparently the road will have to be dug up.
Broadband no longer works. (was working fine prior to visit of engineer)
11:00 SMS received from BT saying "Sorry about your phone fault. It should be OK now"
Web site showing that fault has been fixed and closed.
Fault reopened.
Complained via e-mail
15:25 Called the fault line using my mobile. Selected the option for them to call me back. Was rang back and spoke to a supervisor. Engineer turned up while I was on hold. Supervisor said he would call be back within 24 hours to discuss compensation. (He didn't)
Engineer said that the fault was at the junction box near next doors garden. Will report back to BT and let them decide what to do.
Broadband now works intermittently.
17:24 SMS received from BT saying "Sorry about your phone fault. It should be OK now"
Web site showing that fault has been fixed and closed.
Fault reopened.
18:00 Recieved call in response to e-mail complaint. Nothing to happen before Jan 2nd.

2/1/13
Received SMS telling me fault will be fixed tomorrow.
Recieved call from Sue telling me that she did not know what was happening and that she would phone back tomorrow.
Broadband now not working at all.

3/1/13
08:15 Sue left a message saying that the work will be carried out sometime today.
08:17 Had another SMS telling me that the work will be completed by 5pm today and that someone would call me between 17:00 and 18:00. (10 SMS messagaes received so far!!)
17:00 Still no sign of any BT engineer.
17:26 SMS number 11. "...extended delay due to reasons outside of our control...." Fault expected to be fixed by 17:00 tomorrow.
18:00 No call recieved.
18:22 SMS number 12 "Sorry we need more time to fix your fault.......". No mention of any completion date.
21:26 SMS number 13 "Sorry about your fault.....We aim to fix it by 5pm on 04/01/21013......."

4/1/13
13:15 No sign of anyone coming to fix the problem.
13:18 Called the fault line using my mobile. Selected the option for them to call me back
13:25 Called back by call centre. Apparently an engineer has visited today!! Phone and broadband still not working.
According to the person in India, a team of engineers has visited the property to "study the case" and will fix the problem on 7/1/13. I asked to speak to a supervisor. He told me fault may not be fixed by 7/1/13. I asked to be put through to someone in the UK. Apparently this is not possible. He will e-mail Sue and ask her to ring me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Sounds a lot like my experience so far. Engineer came and found a fault on the network but couldn't locate the cabinet. Found a dirty connection further away and cleaned that and left. Problem came back in a few hours.

They are now telling me that the problem is in my premises even though there isn't anything other than the phone and VDSL modem attached to the master and the fault is still there on on engineer's socket.

I argue that their line test can't be that reliable and that it's the same fault. They could only give me an appointment 14th Jan.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

It's all a bit sad, isn't it?  I think my father's fault has now been fixed, but he is still awaiting an engineer's visit because they say something is wrong at his premises.  Overall, there is a strong whiff of poor/absent communication with the customer and within the service, and the call centre seems to perform pretty poorly.  My own experiences with BT here in Lancashire have been good to date, and I suppose that Openreach is overwhelmed with problems at the moment.  It would help if they were honest about this and offered some explanation, rather than saying the fault should be repaired on day X and then changing it to X plus 1, X plus 2 and so on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

I think that is the main problem. Even if you're in an area where it's not flooded, many engineers are being redeployed in other areas so they're short staffed everywhere.

But communication could always be better.
0 Ratings