cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tate
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

£130 Engineer call out charge and other issues.

Unfortunately we have had an issue with our phone line and then our broadband connection. In November our phone line stopped working, so no phone or Internet. I reported problem and had a very difficult and frustrating conversation with the call centre as I found the lady extremely difficult to understand. She told me they would do a line test and call me back in 24 to 48 hours, I think. We didn't hear anything so I called again. It was then arranged that an engineer will come in the next 24 to 48 hours. The engineer came and spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for the the fault which he found was between our front door and the socket in the kitchen. He couldn't work out how to get to the wire even going in the loft at one point, as the wire went up the wall through the ceiling. Luckily my husband came home and pointed out that there was a closed off BT point in the front room next to the wall where the engineer had picked up the problem. The engineer took the cover off and put a new socket on and our phone line worked again. Both the cover in the front room and the socket we were using were BT branded, we have since been charged £130. Why? 

Then the next week our broadband stopped working. So I phoned and reported the problem. The call centre suggested that I plug the computer directly into the wall and that I needed to take the new cover off put on the week before. I said I would loose the phone connection but the guy said he would call me back on my mobile. So I waited like that till the evening and still no phone call. I was so frustrated with not being able to understand what was being said previously that  I used the chat option in the hope that it would be easier. Anyway it ended that an engineer would call again in the next 24 to 48 hours! So when at the end of the 48 hours no one had called I tried the connection again and found that it was working, but no further contact was received from BT to explain the problem. 

I then sent a request for compensation for loss of service. I was phoned several times by BT and they left messages, I was on holiday which was why I couldn't reply. The last message was on the 2 Jan asking when our broadband service had resumed. The other day I tried to call back the number that had called but that didn't work. So I tried the live chat as I couldn't face getting through to the call centre again. I had a conversation with Vaughan and explained that I was trying to get in touch with someone to resolve the issue. He said we had also been sent an email on the 6 January, but we had not, he put the email on the live chat and I took down the email address to reply and he agreed it was a good idea if I replied direct to the email. He seemed very helpful but it was rubbish, the email bounced back.

So I tried the online chat and went round in circles with several different people and got nowhere. I finally ended up re doing a complaint which now includes the shocking customer service that I had received. A lady phoned me back very promptly, excellent I thought, I asked why we had been charged £130 for the engineer, she said it was our fault. I tried to explain that it was a BT branded socket so as far as we could tell it was BT fitted equipment, she said if it is in the house it is your fault.

So I asked about compensation for loss of service, she said we wouldn't get any, initial phone line problem was our fault so no compensation and we never actually lost our broadband connection completely (although we couldn't get a connection) so we were not due any compensation. I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say, except that we were considering changing suppliers to which she told me how much the termination payment would be and what we would have to do. 

I am amazed at the poor quality of customer service I have received. I do not feel that the last lady that I spoke to considered my queries at all, she just talked over me and was not at all helpful except in telling me how to leave BT. We have been BT customers for a long time with a short break while we lived overseas and have until now had no issues.

Please can someone help me regarding the £130 which has been paid in last months DD and the compensation.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
CraigS
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 12

Re: £130 Engineer call out charge and other issues.

Hi Tate,

I am sorry that you have had problems getting an explanation for this.  I am sure as a long standing customer you were hoping for a bit more info and I will be happy to look into this for you clear eveything up.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Tate
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Hi Craig, I just wanted to check that you received my email as I haven't heard anything from you. If you have sent me a reply please can you resend as I haven't had anything.

Kind regards
0 Ratings
StuartH
Message 4 of 12

Hi Tate

Sorry you haven't had a reply I've taken a look at our queue and can't see an email from you in there.

Did you receive an auto reply after sending the original email, if not can you try sending again and we can look into it for you.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Tate this is the link you need for the mods http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951
0 Ratings
Tate
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

OK I have resent my email to the mods.

0 Ratings
brazenscroll
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Hi Tate

Sorry to have to tell you, but as the fault was within your property "between the front of the house and the kitchen" BT consider any works in this area as chargeable - ie £130. These days the customer is responsible for any equipment on their property, so if there is a fault between your property boundary and your socket/phone/junction box BT will attempt to charge you for it. As your fault was actually within your house, I think you are out of luck on this one.

Sorry

0 Ratings
0rinoco
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Well, I'm glad I came across this site. I have just signed up with Sky, and believe that this means BT phone line. I shall be cancelling the contract this morning. I have also read that the visiting engineer does not leave a work ticket, so the customer has no real proof of what was done.

Not for me, sorry.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

I am sure that you realise that although you will be paying your line rental to a different company it will still be Openreach that repair the line.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
0rinoco
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Surely not all. What about Virgin? Their vans are everywhere.

0 Ratings