Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beakybird
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

£130 moving house charge

Hello

Is the right forum page for asking a question about the charge for the £130 moving costs for changing my phone and internet to another address?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: £130 moving house charge

yes it is the correct board what is your problem
0 Ratings
Beakybird
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

hello, thanks for answering

i'm moving house in a weeks time and a few days ago did the online way to do it and it all went fine and after was told about the £130 change for this.

i thought ok, maybe this is just standard but then i wanted to find out what that £130 is for exactly,

i used the online chat service and was told right away that there was no bt line or box at that address, and that an engineer had to visit to install the services, i told her this is not true as there is definetly a line in the house, she left for 15 minutes came back and said that she can confirm that there is no bt line available at this address.

i told her there definetly is as it was one of the first things i checked when i viewed the property and destinctively remember painting around the box, i even went back today to take pictures as i thought i might have gone mad and imagined it all, i have plenty of picture evedence now.

then she says there is cabling connection that needs work, i asked if it was cabling in my propertly or outside it, she said she didnt know and i was passed to another person.

he said he didnt know either but that an engineer had to come, i said i understood that but i wanted to speak to a person that could tell me exactly what was wrong,

he passed me to someone else

the next person said the engineer was being sent to my properlty to install a new bt line at my property, i told him there already is one.

i asked if it was the line inside my house that was damaged as i know that if i i within my propertly i am liable, but outside the property im not, unless i caused the damage, am i right there?

he said the line that is comnected to the properlty is a non bt working line, hmmm well why do i have a bt box and the property i will live in had 6 seperate flats, wouldnt they all be having the same problem?

then he procced to give me the date at which the engineer will call

i just checked my order status and instead of saying that the engineer will call in the 27th of this month now it says

We're still confirming your installation date

Due to the requested location not having had service previously the order is subject to survey and planning. Because of this we will not confirm a date until our supplier confirms when they are able to provide service.

i am so confused its obvious there has been a working line, i would gladly pay the £130 if it was my fault or it was needed but i got no explanation or proper reason from anyone i have talked to so far.

Am i missing something?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

The charge is raised by Openreach who have to do cabling work in the exchange and interconnecting nodes. Just because there is a box on the wall, it does not mean its connected anywhere.

Openreach pass the charge to BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Beakybird
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

i understand that
I wonder why there would be a box on a wall that connects to nothing, why would it be there, for what purpose, seems silly to me, but looks like how they make the money.
and thankyou for your reply
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

There would not be enough cable pairs to leave everyone connected through to the exchange. Remember that these pairs are shared between all Service Providers, not just BT Retail.

That box in your house could be used by any Service Provider, and is the property of Openreach.