cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manville
Contributor
Message 11 of 163

Re: 135k ip profile

That the IP profile is not reduced by disconnections.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 163

the profile is not directly reduced by disconnection    as gouledw explained disconnections result in the exchange raising your noise margin which in turn reduces your connection speed to try and stabilise your connection.  the result of the drop in connection speed is to reduce the profile.  so as you can see disconnections do not directly reduce your profile but it is the knock on of reduced connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
manville
Contributor
Message 13 of 163

Should I expect to see the effect of the Noise Margin on my sync speed directly?

My current figures look quite good except for a really high noise margin (engineer booked for tomorrow to investigate that as you can hear it on the voice line). Do I just have to ride it out with respect to my IP profile and hope I don't get any low-sync periods in the next 3 days (thus allowing my IP profile to rise)? There was a period of 288kbps yesterday but I rebooted (to fit an broadband accelerator) and it went up to 3500kbps, Overnight it seemed to drop to around 1000kbps (and the connection had been reset around 2am) but stayed rock solid until I rebooted this afternoon whilst I had the power off to test the telephone line.

How do I tell if I dropped to a low sync speed whilst I wasn't looking? I've looked at the Event log but it doesn't seem to record this information (or I've had a very stable sync speed since I rebooted earlier this afternoon). Does it make any difference that I have only had the broadband connected for 8 days?

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 01:46:53
Downstream:5.031 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):15.9 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):38.5 dB / 23.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):77351 / 31
CRC Events (Down/Up):1293 / 40

Speedtester, just done:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 227 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5152 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 163

in the first 10 days of your connection your line is in 'training' as the exchange tries to find the best stable connection for your line.  during this time you should leave your connection alone and connected 24/7 with no manual resets.  during this time however you may find your router resets once or often and BT do not normally help until the training period is complete.

Your noise margin is high at 15.9 as normal about 6 and with your attenuation I would hope for a connection speed of about 7mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 163

Your IP Profile is relative to your SYNC SPEED disconnections are noise generated your sync speed is low because of disconnections no other reason
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 163

Hi until any line noise on your line is rectified your broadband will be unstable and will cause your connection to keep re syncing and that will affect your ip profile
0 Ratings
manville
Contributor
Message 17 of 163

My line is amazingly STABLE considering the amount of audible noise on the line and I'm really only getting 1 restart a day that I haven't caused myself (and that's within the initial stabilisation period). Getting quite a few FECs (77000 in 3hrs) and CRCs and I wonder if my ridiculously low IP profile of 250kbps compared to my sync speed of around 5000kbps at the moment is allowing the Hub to error-correct and ask for re-transmissions in the gaps between packets without causing data loss. (I believe lost packets is a trigger for a reconnection)

I wonder - is any of that information taken into account by the DLM system which explains why my IP profile is staying low?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 163

your profile will recover but it requires a 24/7 connection and normally 3/5 days sometime it can be sooner in 12hrs but there is no way of telling which category you are in until 12hrs have passed.  as long as you can maintain connection then your profile will recover automatically

if you could get your noise margin down to about 6 then you could have a 7mb connection

0 Ratings
manville
Contributor
Message 19 of 163

Well the engineer's coming in tomorrow so fingers crossed he or she can improve the line.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 163

when engineer is finished ask them to reset your profile save waiting as all their disconnections will reset the time for profile automatically changing

0 Ratings