Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
pennyandchris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

150 or 300 MB/s?

Go to solution

Just got BT Infinity and all is fine and dandy with a nice stable 35-ish MB/s connection (touch wood).

Thing is, I have all 54G wireless cards in my PC and laptops (which effectively limit wireless connection to about 18 MB/s), and was thinking of installing 802.11n cards. With a Home Hub 3, is it worth going for 300 MB/s cards, or will 150 MB/s cards be sufficient?

I don't want to spend too much on my old PC and laptops, as they may be replaced in the not too distant future.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: 150 or 300 MB/s?

Go to solution
I would imagine the 150MB/s card would be fine because depending on what setting you have on the home hub it limits the wireless throughput to 130mb. I mean if you were to get all your devices on an N card then you could change a setting on the hb to 40Hz N wireless which increases the speed at longer distances and also increases the cap of 130MB/s to 300Mb/s so all the devices would have more bandwidth to share. 🙂
Spilogale
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Hi pennyandchris the 150/300 MB/s card will only change the speed on your local network. ie Your computers connected to the router and data that is sent between those 3 devices. If you have a 35 MB/s connection to your BB router your laptops will never transfer data over the internet faster than 35 MB/s. I noticed that your post is about a year old now after I typed this and I didn't want all this typing to go to waste so you can take it as a friendly FYI and future reference.
pennyandchris
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Spilogale, ta for the info. You've confirmed what I thought. I don't do much data sharing over the home network so that's not a real issue. Just been checking and there's not that much of a price difference between 150 and 300 MB/s cards from some manufacturers anyway.

I'm borrowing a laptop with an 'n' card to check the benefit before I splash any cash.

0 Ratings