Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

15Mb download speed with 38Mb profile

Go to solution

Hi Everyone

I had BT Infinity Option 2 installed last Wednesday (5 days ago). At install time, the engineer said that:

a) he was getting full bandwidth at the cabinet (about 300 metres away from our house)

b) he was only getting 20Mb at our house, withouth our house's internal wiring connected

c) there was therefore a fault in the line from the cabinet to our premises and that someone else would call me/come out to fix this (he said something about a 'speed boost' callout).

Since then, as no-one called/came out, I've been struggling with the call centres to try to get my download speed issue resolved. The Call Centre says that they've raised an Exchange check, who have apparently confirmed back that there is no fault as I am on the 38.72 IP Profile. The supervisor in the call centre basically said that they only guarantee the profile, and that download speed is only UPTO 40Mb, thus my getting anything above 12Mb is considered satisfactory. She further refused to do anything further and would not listen to the fact that upto 40Mb implies somewhere in the region of 40Mb (e.g. over 30Mb) and not above 12Mb!

I was hoping that things would automatically improve over a few days, but to no avail. Over the weekend and today, my download speed is approx 15Mb - even lower than when the engineer did the install. I have tried at all times of the day/night, but speed seems to be always in the region of 15Mb to about 22Mb at best.

Current test results show:

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed
 15 Mbps

0 Mbps38.72 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 15 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-38.72 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 38.72 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 8.42 Mbps

0 Kbps10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.42Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.

All the speed tests were carried out using wired ethernet. I have also tried using a linux router inplace of the HH3, but results remain the same.

Can anyone advise/help as to what I can do next to get this addressed. 

Thanks all.

smar.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: 15Mb download speed with 38Mb profile

Go to solution

I have exactally the same problem. The OR engineer told me that he is only obliged to leave me with anything above 15mbps... and that it is considered acceptable...

However your are still on the right IP profile, mine has dropped to 17mbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Re: 15Mb download speed with 38Mb profile

Go to solution
Thanks and yes, my IP profile has (so far) remained constant, which again leads me to believe that there is some other problem.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Re: Numb download speed with Numb profile

Go to solution

What speed were you told you could get when you bought Infinity?

If they told you a specific speed from BT sales but you are not getting anywhere close then you are in your right to complain.

BT open reach told me the same that as long as its over 12 MPS then they wont do anything about it. BT sales told me I could get 38MPS with not too much of a drop yet I only get 20MPS and I have not had anything above this....A big difference. Therefore as far as I am concerned the product was missold by BT sales and I am entitled to try and get it sorted. THe Mods here are the most helpful people in BT so if I were you I would contact them, its a lot less stressful than calling up BT customer service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I was told I should get approx 40Mb. The online speed check that they give on the BT Products and Services page where you can sign up for BT Infinity also gave 40Mb. Based on this, I thought even if it didn't get 40, it would be in the high 30's, and hence my frustration at getting only 15 to 20Mb (I just did another test before replying to this post and it again came back at 15Mb).

I've raised a ticket for the mods now, and am hoping they can help get this seen resolved.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I have seen a lot of similar posts and the problem of BT's estimation/promise and the reality comes back all the time. Form TV ads and talk on-line I was under the impression that BT is able to some extend tell potential customers what speed they will be able to deliver. I'm starting to be more and more worried that I will be told that I will receive, let's say 37Mb, but will end up with 13Mb in reality and no way of getting out of the contract I am not happy with.

What is the point of this estimated value and IP profile if in the end it is almost meaningless when it comes to complain? It is in no way different to the famous "up to..." b******t everyone was getting for years. Is there a way of rejecting the service if it is significantly below BT's estimate prior to the order/signing the contract? Something similar to statutory rights in retail transaction.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
If your speedmdrops below 15mbps then bt will class this as a fault, other than that, i think you'll be waiting for lots of public comlaints before any isp will listen. Personally, I've had to put up with connections of less than 4mbps for years, and would be happy for anything above 15!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

So far speed has maintained at 15Mb (still at the same level on the test I just did now). Anyway, mods have advised I wait the 10 days stabilisation period (which ends in 2 days time) and then see where we stand. I'm not that optimistic that things will improve significantly by then...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Some good news - I am now getting 30Mb to 33Mb on the BT Speed Tester, and 35Mb to 38Mb on speedtest.net as of yesterday (I hope my posting this doesn't jinx it!).

Both the mods and the gentleman from the Indian Call Centre that called two days ago to follow-up advised waiting the full 10 days after install for speed stabilisation. I must admit that with a week going by, I had my doubts, but they were both correct. On day 8 after install, the speed has jumped up to a decent level.

And I take back my comments about staffing in the Indian call centre - SOME of them actually do seem to want to help (others are useless and don't understand the technology/just reading off scripts)!

Hope that helps anyone else who has recently had a new install and not getting the full bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
I knew I shouldn't have posted that last message - as it's well and truly jinxed it!

I'm now down to 12Mb...
0 Ratings