cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

2.25km Line too long??

I live in a rural village called Radlett, my exchange and area is infinity enabled. Unfortunately my house is too far from the green cabinet so am unable to order Infinity, which Is fair enough as I know that it doesn’t work very well over long distances. My gripe is that my neighbour who is 10 meters away can order “faster total broadband” which I also know is a sub 15mb fibre product, which is highly annoying as I am not even able to order this. My current ADSL speeds are 10+mb down and 1.3mb up which is very good for a long line, the bt checker shows that I will only receive 2-6mb down.

If I had a fibre product surely I would achieve much better than what I get now and am quite happy to have a lower speed fibre product anyway. Is there anyway that I would be able to order anytime?

Thanks for your time

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: 2.25km Line too long??

what does this actually say for your phone number?
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
dose it mention fttc?
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

it does not mention it at all
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 19

You can still get "Infinity" in a sense, they just call it something different when a person won't be able to hit 15mbps due to them not wanting to damage the brand name "Infinity"

If fibre is available to you, it will be called BT Faster Boradband which is still FTTC then copper to your premises which is the exact same as Infinity. It just means you will get up to 15mbps, also the line could be unstable.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

From my personal experience, at distances over 2k ADSL performs better, especially in cases where you have overhead cables.

I am about the same distance - and a few towns across, and was quoted 10mb, on faster broadband. I am lucky to be getting 3.5 on FTTC VDSL at the moment, when i was getting better up and down speeds on ADSL 2+ with BeThere.

If you want to risk it, go for it. But be prepared for a nightmare experience and customer services that equate to nothing - i have been disconnected 5 times in two moinths from their call centre, most of their staff cannot understand our english, rather than us understand them, i have had in the region of 5-6 engineer visits, all claiming that i cannot get better than 4mb. Note here i was stable at 7mb for one month on FTTC VDSL, and recently that halved, and they are telling me i am lieing about previous speeds (ignoring the fact i have speedtest records going back daily for that month period).

My advice to you - wait till BT have a clue what they are doing wth FTTC, and till neighbours have ti running at speeds greater than yours and you can see it first hand. Otherwise your paying a wonderful expense to be testing the **bleep** BT are currently pushing out.

This is a grumpy response, but all honesty do not waste your time and money on BT. Unless you have time to sit on the phone to call centres, take days of for engineers, and in general get a worse line than you are having with ADSL!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 19

@davidf2012 wrote:
it does not mention it at all

in that case you cant get fttc

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 19

You could ask your neighbours what cabinet they're connected too, are you certain that is your cabinet that far away?

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 19

Id try and work out the distance to the cab yourself. Pace it out or look on google maps and try and work it out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 19

i dont think the cab has been enabled for fttc
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Hi Sorry to drop in here again - but after my latest batch of engineer visits i have a simple answer fot you.

Yes 2.25km is too long, in fact based on the engineers in the North london and hertfordshire areas advice to me, any FTTC over 1k is too long.

Currently in this area BT/OpenReach top tech bods have been investigating severe problems on line lengths over 1k. The equipment at the cabinet is detecting these line lengths and auto dropping the profiles, regradless of what the actual max achievable speed for the line is. I am not sure if it is a new policy, or firmware update to the cabinets, etc... But people are seeing speeds which have been stable at upto 15mb currently drop down to between 2 and 4mb. The engineers cannot do anythign about this. New cabling (especially shielded cabling) is the only proven solution at this point in time, but cost reasons mean new cabling never gets installed (unless your on a massive estate).

In my instance i was running 7mb stable for 1 month before i saw the suddent drop. Since then and numerous engineer visits i can get a max achievable of 12, but profile is always reset to about 8or9, this lasts 2-24 hours, and the cabinet drops it to 3. So the cabinet decides i am only able to get a quarter of the max achievable Openreachs equipment says i can.

So unless you are under 1k, avoid FTTC at this current time.

0 Ratings