cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 91 of 984

Re: 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ Bands BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

That's true. But still..... The question goes unanswered as to what specific technical legitimate reason why this feature has been removed. It is irritating.

0 Ratings
Message 92 of 984

Go to solution

Whilst I agree it is crazy that the option to give the band's different SSIDs has been removed, have you considered that in reality the problem is with the very few devices that can't cope with a common SSID. I have yet to understand why devices that don't even have 5Ghz capability are affected. 

0 Ratings
Message 93 of 984

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Whilst I agree it is crazy that the option to give the band's different SSIDs has been removed, have you considered that in reality the problem is with the very few devices that can't cope with a common SSID. I have yet to understand why devices that don't even have 5Ghz capability are affected. 

Are you sure its not simply an issue with the home hubs? I have not noticed any problems with my wireless mesh which has the same SSID and dual bands. I have a mixture of 2.5GHz only, and also dual band devices, they all connect without a problem.

It needs someone with a third party router, to make the SSIDs the same on both bands, and see if they get any problems. I cannot see it has anything to do with a device, if it cannot even see the 5GHz.

As its been mentioned before, the common SSID on the SH2, it to enable it to work with the black discs.

0 Ratings
Message 94 of 984

Go to solution

It only seems to affect a few devices, mainly Apple and Smart devices. I have a number of devices and a SH2 and the common SSID doesn't cause any problems at all.

0 Ratings
Message 95 of 984

Go to solution

The issue tends to be with configuring smart devices . E.g smart plugs/cameras with an app on your phone.   The phone works on 5ghz, the plugs 2.4ghz and fail to communicate. I turned off 5ghz to force them all on to the same. Configured the devices and then switched it back on but would have been a simpler to have 2 SSids as I may have to do every time they lose configue

0 Ratings
Message 96 of 984

Go to solution

I don't understand that, devices don't have to be on the same band to communicate with each other unless there is a fundamental fault with the SH2 that isolates devices connected to different bands somehow. Devices communicate at the IP layer not the physical (wireless) layer.

0 Ratings
Message 97 of 984

Go to solution
ONly seems to be an issue when the device is not configured and the app is searching for it. I also had to lower the compatability level on the wifi router . So not sure what they are broadcasting at this point before they are configured via the app with wifi credentials etc.
0 Ratings
Message 98 of 984

Go to solution

How I see the effect of having both bands enabled on the SH2, it's like it's not routing the IP traffic correctly. For example I have experienced the follow scenarios....

SH2 using both bands enabled with SONOS devices
Sonos only can work on the 2.4GHz band. The smartphone latches onto the 5GHz band, and when it does the Sonos client reports "Unable to connect.... etc.", but it does this with the Sonos client failing to resolve any connection until the smartphone jumps back onto the 2.4GHz band.

SH2 using only 2.4GHz band and Develo 1200+ WiFi using only 5GHz band
Again as above, the Sonos only can work on the 2.4GHz band. The smartphone latches onto the 5GHz band from the Devolo. On the Sonos client it reports on occasion "Unable to connect.... etc.", but within 10 seconds the Sonos client manages to resolve a connection via the network with the devices on the 2.4GHz band.

So I have not dug deeper (yet) but this indicates to me that the SH2 probably has some kind of connection resolving issue.

Kind regards.

0 Ratings
Message 99 of 984

Re: BT Smart Hub v BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Problem solved went back to the old router. Tomorrow I will call them to return it an cancel the new contract that extended my current contract by a year.

0 Ratings
Message 100 of 984

Re: BT Smart Hub v BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I’m in a similar position where I need to separate the two Wi-Fi bands, but I have in my possession a spare Smart Hub 2.

So would the following work as a solution?

Using the second BT Smart Hub 2 set up a dedicated bridge. (I’ve done this before, but have forgotten the toes I need to carry out. If someone can point me to a relevant thread that would be great. Otherwise I try and search online.)

Set the primary SH2 to broadcast 2.4Ghz only with Wi-fi SSID of SH2-Primary-2GHz

Set the secondary SH2 to broadcast 5Ghz only with Wi-fi SSID of SH2-Secondary-5GHz

It does seem crazy in this day and age that I need to resort to a hardware fix when this is a simple software issue on the SH-2. There is no logical reason not to have it available as a feature.

0 Ratings