cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 111 of 984

Re: 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ Bands BT Smart Hub 2

Go to solution
Does anyone know what other hub works with fttp and can I ask BT to swap from the hub 2 to something else.

Also, can anyone explain the hub numbering system as the hub 2 doesnt seem to be the second hub, as there seems to be a hub 4 and a hub 5
0 Ratings
Message 112 of 984

Go to solution

@Irish-Lyndawrote:
Also, can anyone explain the hub numbering system as the hub 2 doesnt seem to be the second hub, as there seems to be a hub 4 and a hub 5

Hi @Irish-Lynda   Home Hub 1 to 5 then Smart Hub (commonly known as the Home Hub 6), Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 113 of 984

Go to solution

Any router with a WAN port can be used with FTTP

BT only supply the SH2 for FTTP

0 Ratings
Message 114 of 984

Go to solution

If you have FTTP do you also have digital voice or is phone still provided over copper line?  If DV then you need the SH2 as that is the dect base station for your phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 115 of 984

Go to solution

Hi, I'v just had the same trouble. I'm not sure if you managed to resolve it but i just managed to connect no problem (after hours of trying everything after trawling through forums) simply log into your BT hub manager and switch off 'Smart Setup' Then go through the manual connection process on the app (no need to find the devices wifi with your smartphone). Once its connected then you can switch back on the 'Smart Setup' in your Hub manager.

0 Ratings
Message 116 of 984

Go to solution

DO NOT, switch back on Smart setup. It causes nothing but trouble.

0 Ratings
Message 117 of 984

Go to solution

Have just had my FTTP installed today and have setup with the SmartHub 2 and am running into the exact same issue as  described in this thread.

When I have the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands both enabled I can connect devices to both OK but the devices on the 2.4 band can not communicate with devices on the 5 ghz band and vice versa.  Wired devices are fine and can talk to devices on both bands.

This obviously creates pretty big problems as certain devices only support 2.4 and I need to interconnect with them from devices that favour the 5 ghz bands.

Only way I have been able to remedy this so far is by disabling 5ghz completely which works but obviously loses me quite significant wireless speed on 5ghz compatible devices (like 60 down rather than 200 down!).

Is there any realistic prospect of BT resolving this anytime soon given the number of affected users in this thread?

If not I think my only realistic option is to cancel digital voice and invest in a new draytek to replace the old one I just took out (which didn’t support 5ghz)

0 Ratings
Message 118 of 984

Go to solution

Good post imho. Hit the nail on the head in describing this problem. However the bigger problem is that BT do not care enough about their customers to bother. 

0 Ratings
Message 119 of 984

Go to solution

First of all, the inability to split the bands is a deliberate decision by BT rather than a fault and despite repeated calls for there to be an option to do so. 

As far as communication between bands is concerned, I don't have a problem. I can print and scan on a 2.4Ghz connected printer from a 5 GHz connected laptop, so the problem isn't generic.

0 Ratings
Message 120 of 984

Go to solution

It seems a very odd decision to make by BT especially given the numbers of issues it is causing people and an even stranger one to them ignore those customers and not offer a resolution.

I am experiencing the same symptoms as many others in this thread with the inability to communicate between bands, the fact that you say you are able to do so liquorice makes me wonder if that is a genuine bug as opposed to a “feature”, did you have to change any setting to enable it? what firmware is your SH2 running (mine is on v0.26.03.01286).

I have a complaint open with BT anyway due to the way they messed me about with the FTTP install in the first place so I shall add this issue to that case but I think from what I have read here it’s not going to be resolved so I will cancel my digital voice and get a new router, annoying to have to do so but ultimately less of a pain than hanging out on 2.4ghz and waiting for BT to fix I suspect.

Should say for balance that my install went great when it eventually got scheduled and the speeds are bang on the 300 that were promised so the infrastructure is great, just a shame about the seemingly hobbled SH2!

0 Ratings