cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJLMAN
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

2 Lines with 2 ADSL 2+ Connections (Bonded Broadband)

I've recently paid for a company called Evlove Networks for a bonded broadband service due to fiber not being available anytime soon in my location.  I'm having some issues however and am hoping someone on the board can provide an answer, or direction to go in.

The issue I have is that if I use just one of the ADSL 2+ lines, I either get ~20MB on the BT line, or ~18MB on the Talk Talk one that Evlove arranged to be installed.  If they are both used together using Evolves hardware, the maximum I will get is ~20MB (using the BT Openreach checker).

It seems that despite the fact I have 2 lines, with 2 ADSL 2+ connections coming into the house, when both used concurrently (as is the point with bonded broadband), I will still max out at ~20MB, but split equally by the Evolve hardware between the two lines.

My main question then is this...

If I have two ADSL 2+ lines coming into the house via a telephone pole line, will the total bandwitdh still constrained to the single limit due to the connection from the pole to the house - which is around 40 years old?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: 2 Lines with 2 ADSL 2+ Connections (Bonded Broadband)

try using speedtest.net  http://www.speedtest.net/ and see what result you get

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DJLMAN
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

It still tops out around 18-19MB. 😟
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

then problem for Evlove to solve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DJLMAN
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Agreed that this is an Evolve issue to resolve, but wondered if there were any possible technical limitations when running two concurrent ADSL 2+ lines via one incoming telephone pole based line.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 6 of 6

If you have two ADSL connections, then you have two separate connections from the telegraph pole to your home, it's just the 2 pairs of wires are contained within the same drop cable.

Having two ADSL lines in such close proximity could interfere with each other,  but not in the way you are experiencing , and not by a huge amount,  if you had ( for example) one line with ADSL2 and were getting say 20Mb, adding a second line ADSL2 line adjacent to it could degrade it slightly to below 20Mb, but this should be insignificant compared to the gain by bonding the 2 lines together , so if you get 20 on first and 18 on second , even if the close proximity  has a small negative effect you should get somewhere in the order of 35Mb (20+18 - 3).

Perhaps using the BTwholesale checker isn't informative , the TT line wouldn't be BTw, perhaps using that speed checker only 'checks' the BT  ADSL side of the bonded line, perhaps you need to use a different tool to confirm you are benefiting from the 2 lines working in tandem

0 Ratings