cam across them when reading up on bufferbloat on jim gettys page

http://gettys.wordpress.com/

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 92 of 110

Re: 20/04/2011 World of Warcraft throttling

Hello,

There isn’t a wider fault as mentioned before, but we can investigate individual connections. If you're still having problems with this send in your details and we’ll take a closer look at this.

You can get in touch by using our “Contact Us” link, which can be found by clicking on my username. It’s under “about me” in my profile page.

Thanks,

Stephanie

0 Ratings
ge1971
Aspiring Contributor
Message 93 of 110

There isn’t a wider fault as mentioned before, but we can investigate individual connections

So, everyone who plays World of Warcraft and Rift all simultaneously, but completely independently get the same problem on their individual connections ...on the same day ?

Forgive me if I find that just a little difficult to believe.

I'm surprised that nobody else has brought this up; but allow me to offer an alternative point of view - you decide which sounds more likely:

A little while back WoW changed the way they send their data packets; and they have been falling foul of various ISPs traffic management policies. The data gets seen as P2P traffic, so your ISP no longer thinks you're playing a game; they think you're downloading the complete John Holmes collection - you get a very slow connection to your game server as these packets get placed in a low priority queue - your other internet traffic is unaffected.

Blizzard have realised that this change in data transfer is a problem for a huge amount of people; so soon (possibly next week with WoW patch 4.1);  WoW users will be able to select whether they want their WoW traffic to be sent using the old method (which was not seen as P2P) or the new method (should be quicker but often detected as P2P traffic and so gets screwed by ISPs).

In the meantime ISPs will do little. 

They may temporarily be more tolerant of P2P traffic so they don't get mobbed by gamers.

They may ask for tracert information and ask you to call customer service.

But we're basically in a holding pattern until we can all be offered a standard solution - change your WoW internet traffic setting; in the meantime it's all about delay and mis-information.

Other games like Rift will be left with a choice, stick with their method and rely on market pressures making the ISPs change; or perhaps more likely, offer the same choice in their games.

I guess that may sound like a conspiracy theory; but I've learned a LOT about this issue over the past couple of months and two ISPs; and I'm utterly convinced that it's an accurate description of the current situation.

Of course, you may disagree; after all, it's entirely possible that thousands of subscribers who happen to be playing the same games all individually developed line faults on the same day - yes, that sounds like a much more likely explaination.

Of course, the real shame here is that there's a massive gap in the market at the moment.

If one ISP decided to offer a good service; be open about what's going on and work with their customers to provide a genuine, fast, reliable service then they'd monopolise the ISP market.  Information and knowledge is just a click away in today's world, please stop treating us like morons.

/edited for grammar.

0 Ratings
spar
Aspiring Expert
Message 94 of 110

if u want that u can pay for it and join isps offering fttc who dont throttle at present. but u will pay more for it

bt are able to undercut them due to the fact its there infrastructure

but if u have the money and feel strongly about it, look at the others, the choice is there.

eg idnet, zen, and loads more now

when i used to game loads a few years back now, counter strike, tac ops, cod 4 i delibratly picked an isp based on routing deals they had to the continent and service, at that time it was idnet.

i payed a bit more and was happy

they sorted a routing prob from them to holland within a few days after speaking to the director who took my call and was good to his word.

service was great. if i could afford it and the fttc deal was more attractive id go back.

cant speak for others experience just mine

at present i cant afford the pricing idnet are charging for fttc and i dont game heavily anymore, so its not a deal breaker for me at present. price is my priority this time

if i did need quality and service i would not pick BT

0 Ratings
Tven0
Contributor
Message 95 of 110

ge1971 has hit the nail on the head.

It was a few weeks ago, during the launch of Rift, that there was a massive thread about this issue then. I warned the moderator's and admins about this issue back then. I warned them that it would happen again.

Here we are, April, and lo and behold - it has happened again.

BT need to stop limiting P2P traffic or this problem will happen again and again. End of story.

At the very least they should remove it for people on the unlimited packages. They've removed the cap on downloads, yet still limit P2P traffic? Bizzare.

Thank God for Blizzard actually doing a stroke of work and attempting to fix this issue, hopefully in the patch on Wednesday when we can all swap back over to standard network settings.

0 Ratings
sillysteve
Beginner
Message 96 of 110

This is just crazy I can not play wow and I even went on the game world of warcraft at 3am to try it and still unplayable will try the mod and see what happens all I can say is thank goodness my internet is up next month they will be losing me as a customer

0 Ratings
avent
Beginner
Message 97 of 110

congratulations BT.

today is the 27/04/11. And everyone on BT internet has got the same **bleep** as last week.

What the **bleep** are you guys playing at now? Pings at over 9000, people lagging the **bleep** out and this is being centralised on people on BT.

Care to explain?

0 Ratings
iPHAILZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 98 of 110

I have been fine earlier this evening, logged off around 9.30PM

Dont forget there was a massive patch today, and was having mass server disconns, as in the whole server so i can't blame BT for that one.

---------------------------
Best BT india advice i have seen yet on these forums:
Q: Someone has hacked my wireless network
A: Try plugging router into your test socket.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 99 of 110

@avent wrote:

congratulations BT.

today is the 27/04/11. And everyone on BT internet has got the same **bleep** as last week.

What the **bleep** are you guys playing at now? Pings at over 9000, people lagging the **bleep** out and this is being centralised on people on BT.

Care to explain?

It's not just BT users see here.

0 Ratings
roniarobber
Message 100 of 110

Hi guys I am still having this problem on 1st May- anyone else? thanks, ronia

0 Ratings