cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thekernowman
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

20 meg update problems

Looking for some help re. Speed update from mods/anyone. Have seen similar comments here previously.

HH2, Win 7, Option1, BT Talk, Vision, Phone Anytime.

Began update to up to 20 meg on 17/02/2001.

Since then my hub has dropped the connection very frequently. Usually once a day, sometime it will hold for two days. Previously there were few/no disconnections and I got 5/6 meg download. Now I get 5 or less.

I do have FON connected and it is used a lot by my neighbour but does not show as my usage. But wonder if this may be a clue to my problems.

Previously my noise was around 6 down and attenuation similar to now. Hub the problem I wonder? I have now tried resetting the Hub. Didn't want to cause problems!

ADSL line status
Connection Information

Line state

Connected

Connection time

0 days, 03:43:42

Downstream

6,712 Kbps

Upstream

1,147 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

G.992.5 Annex A

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

9.4 dB / 5.5 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

47.4 dB / 26.0 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

10.4 dBm / 1.7 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)

0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)

0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote)

0 / 0

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

266 / 4

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

30 / 1

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

466 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote)

22 / 1

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

<script type="text/javascript">// paintProgressAndMessageOnBar(100,"The test has successfully completed" ); // </script> Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
4007 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 4007 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :6712 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1146 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 6.39:18.97:74.66 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Grateful for any help please.

Noel T

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
thekernowman
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: 20 meg update problems

Should read, "I have NOT reset my Hub!"
0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

The disconnections may well be the training period following the upgrade to ADSL2+. Given your distance from the exchange you wouldn't expect a large increase in your speed following the upgrade and ADSL2 is much more sensitive to any noise issues which may be why your nosie margin has risen and your IP profile dropped a little.

Your neighbours use of your FON connection will not impact on your speed as he will get a max 512kbps download and that will slow if you are fully using your bandwidth.

If you had vision on when you did the test you would lose about 1600Kbps off your profile as vision is set as an assured service.
kernowtom
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Thanks.

Thought the training period was 10 days though. Was disconnected this am. If what you say is correct, and I can see the sense in what you say, I shall be in a worse position than I was before the update.

Wonder if the HH3 would improve the line problem. I had a good, steady sevice previously. Don't suppose I can go back :-))) 

I have been with BT since the very early days -dial-up even. And yes I am getting on a bit!

Regards

Noel

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 13

It could still be re-syncing due to the error count. My new line has been up and running since 26th Jan and still re syncs at odd times - sometimes up and sometimes down but it is running above its predicted speed so am I to complain.

If yours holds at 6712 then you should get another 500kbps on your IP profile. Not sure that the HH3 is any better at holding a good speed.

Are you running on an extension or in the master socket? If the master socket do you have and other phone extensions?
kernowtom
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for that.

I thought I would try leaving it be for another week and see what happens. At the moment I am worse off than before the update.

When I got vision I was one of the first and bought my box. Best part of £100. Its been very good - no complaints there. But when I got it it was engineer fitted. They came back several times and eventually moved my master socket from the entrance hall into the lounge, where the tv is, and fitted a socket which did away with the filters, and the hub fits directly into that socket. So I guess that that cuts out all outside influences. My phone fits into that socket and the hub phone into the hub,of course.

My connection rate changes more or less daily.

Cheers

Noel

0 Ratings
kernowtom
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Thought I would update on progress (:-))

Upgraded to ADSL 2 17th Feb 2011.

Had one period of 5 days steady connection. Reconnects most days.

My speeds are usually less that before the upgrade. Several 10 day reset periods later!!

As mentioned above BT fitted socket with broad band and phone socket. No other connections.

Things were better before the improvemnt upgrade.

Here are my latest results. There seem to be some high errors - not sure why?

My noise margin has been down to 5. This is where is used to be before upgrade - with very few disconnections.

Regards.

Noel

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected <script type="text/javascript">// function p_ajax_adsl_status() { ajax_download_start('adsl_status=1', p_ajax_adsl_status_cb); } function p_ajax_adsl_status_cb(xml) { if (document.getElementById('adsl_status').innerHTML != xml) { document.getElementById('adsl_status').innerHTML = xml; mimic_button('submit_button_ajax_refresh', 1); } else setTimeout('p_ajax_adsl_status()', 5000); } setTimeout('p_ajax_adsl_status()', 5000); // </script>
Connection time1 days, 01:05:01
Downstream6,232 Kbps
Upstream1,121 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)10.7 dB / 5.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)47.5 dB / 26.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up)10.3 dBm / 1.7 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)1015 / 16799107
CRC Errors (Down/Up)137 / -1466957824
HEC Errors (Down/Up)969 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)112 / 18595

Hide Details
Software version 4.7.5.1.83 (Type B) | Time and date 10:39 21/03/11 <script type="text/javascript">// function p_ajax_footer_time() { ajax_download_start('timendate=1', p_ajax_footer_time_cb); } function p_ajax_footer_time_cb(xml) { if (document.getElementById('footer_time').innerHTML != xml) { document.getElementById('footer_time').innerHTML = xml; } } setTimeout('p_ajax_footer_time()', -1); // </script>
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

your noise margin is still abit high at 10 but your speed is about that shown on the kitz site for your attenuation.

I see that you have the master socket next to other electrical devices have you read this post for some other ideas  
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

my master was very similar to yours and moving router a bit further away from lcd tv helped me

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
thekernowman
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

What I don't understand is my noise was steady grade about 5, now 10 or 11ish.

Disconnections a rarity now frequent.

Make me wonder if the new type hub might do the trick. Then I would lose my hub phone though.

Thanks for your reply and I will have a look ot the addie you gave.

cheers

Noel

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

it probably nothing to do with the hub/router.  The noise problem is due to the upgrade to adsl2/2+ which is very aggressive on noise on your line far more so then adslmax.  what was a good connection on up to 8mb will not necessarily be a good connection when upgraded to 21CN equipment.

All you need to do is search the forum regarding upgrade to see you are not alone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings