cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

22p call charge when no one answers phone????

Hi, we use the double ring method in our family so when someones phone rings twice, then stops, then rings again, the person receiving the call knows its from someone they know and NOT a sales call!

Thing is, a lot of the time, you'd do two rings, hang up, waiti like 10 seconds then ring again until they answer but it seems to go straight though to BT ANSWER "the person you are calling is not available", which is frustrating as I have waited before ringing back.

I have lot's of of these unanswered calls where my call has gone straight through to the persons BT Answer and I get charged 22p for each call, this is shocking and I'm sure a ploy on behalf of BT to make money out of its unsuspecting customers.

Have they changed the time between the intial 2 rings, then ringing the same number again as 9 times out of 10 now it goes through to the cursed BT Answer.... I have even timed my last call to a family member:

Rung their number twice, hung up. Waited 40 seconds, then rang them again. Straight through to BT Answer and wham, bam, thankyou maam 22p charge without me even having spoken to the person..... Grrrrr 😞

I know if they have picked up their phone and dialled 1471 to see who just rang them, then I will get through to their BT Answer as their phone is "engaged", I'm not daft, but my family swear blind they have NOT dialled 1471..... so, how long do you have to wait before redialling the persons number, and why do I (us all) get charged 22p for nothing.

This is daytime UK calls only as I get free evening and weekend calls. Free after 7pm, seeing as BT changed the goalposts..... grrr!

Anyone have an answer please?

If you have to wait more than 60 seconds, it defeats the point of doing the double ring method.

I.e. Their phone rings twice then stops. One minute later it rings again for like 30 seconds. They might not realise its a family member calling as it was over a minute ago the double ring.... er rang!

Thank you.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: 22p call charge when no one answers phone????

I don't know the answers to your questions, but suspect BT would not be very forthcoming as they might regard what you are doing as an abuse of the service. As a matter of interest, what happens if someone from outside the family circle calls? Do they just not get answered?

My advice would be that you all just register with the Telephone Preference Service.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@pottyperson wrote:

I don't know the answers to your questions, but suspect BT would not be very forthcoming as they might regard what you are doing as an abuse of the service. As a matter of interest, what happens if someone from outside the family circle calls? Do they just not get answered?

My advice would be that you all just register with the Telephone Preference Service.

Hi.

How can it be an abuse of the service? People have double door knocks when visiting friends and family, especially eldery people so they know someone they know is at the door, same as using the phone.

Ring them twice, then ring back again, then they know it's someone they know and aren't going to be pestered by some salesperson.

I'm registered with the TPS and ex-directory and still get calls. I left British Gas, they keep phoning me back up to rejoin them.

Hence using the double ring method.

If someone rings me without two rings, I let it go to answer. They can leave me a message.

Thanks anyway, but it's hardly abuse of the service.

Abuse of the service is charging punters nearly £15 a month for **bleep** line rental whether you use your phone or not, that's scandalous before these 22p call charges for not even speaking to someone : (

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

if you opt for BT Privacy then you get free caller display and TPS registration You can also get anonymous caller reject which will block calls from any withheld number which are used by a large number of call centres and the like

as to line rental  that cost is past on to BT retail your supplier by openreach who are responsible for the supply and maintenace of lines and exchange facilities for all communications suppliers including BT Retail

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Just want to say that the TPS does not work. Registered my number ages and ages ago and still get the pesky calls.

. . . it must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@Ocean wrote:

Just want to say that the TPS does not work.

That's not everyone's experience - I can only remember one reportable call in more than 10 years since I registered. I recommended TPS to a friend was receiving many unwanted calls; he registered and they virtually stopped within a couple of days (though the guarantee is 28 days).

TPS only applies to UK direct marketing; international calls are excluded and computer-generated silent calls can still be received. If you get an identifiable call you think TPS should have prevented, report it them - they do take action.  

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings