No improvement since the last report and now I have been guaranteed that a third engineer will fix the problem, just like the last two times.
Couple of things, after the callback (yes, it actually happened!) I tried out a BT2700HGV which blistered along with a solid, unwavering throughput of 6997kb/s, consistently, for about 2 hours with very low error rates (a handful) before the rot set in and the throughput quickly slid down into an indecisive range of 400kb/s - 1500kb/s. This is what occured the morning after the Boost Engineer's attempt to fix the problem.
A diagnostic (of the longer kind) carried out by the Priority Fault team triggered two resyncs; after the second resync the d/s throughput returned 6997, nice and solid, for about ten minutes before crashing back down.
Upstream throughput is now also dying despite the SNR being increased from 6dB to 25dB and losing more than 50% of its connection rate; throughput is 100kb/s-220kb/s.
Priority Faults advised me that the third engineer will perform a lift and shift. Oh dear. I did explain that one was carried out on the Boost Engineer visit but this was repeatedly rejected and I was eventually to be told <pause> that the boost engineer lacked the skills and tools to carry out a lift and shift. Pointing out that another engineer on site at the exchange had carried out the work didn't go down too well and the subject was quickly and awkwardly changed. Apparently, there is no record of the lift and shift and I have to wonder what the engineer was up to that afternoon; he didn't seem the type to be taking unauthorised leave.
I called 151 and asked them to check the booking for the engineer and tell me what he would be doing; apparently the (SFI) engineer will be "'checking at the exchange and outside your property then boosting my broadband for the signal or something...'" (quotes are correctly positioned); no mention of a lift and shift then. Are customer-facing BT people issued with a customised magic 8-ball at induction?
Edit: Latency now on the increase. Brilliant!
Have you checked the line noise? You're in a similar situation that I was in. I had the exact same attenuation as you and a load line noise, speeds dramatically increased although you have the same sync speed as me currently.
Have you tried 17070 option 2?
Just a comment the noise margin is not the SNR but is a target figure SNMARGIN set by the system as the level your line will be stable at 6Db being the being the target and higher is not good as it would be if it were SNR
A higher snmargin means your line requires a higher signal to noise ratio and not that it has one
Yes, I've checked out with Mr Quiet Line Test a few times and it seems excellent for [the absence of] noise. I have a feeling that someone is manually tinkering with the connection and the dsl stats are indicative of a panic profile that's been applied because although DLM has trained the line, under load something's getting hot and causing a speed drop-off and increased latency with high levels of jitter.
Could well be something silly and small like a capacitor or bit of solder on a circuit board that's flaking out
Well, the engineer didn't show; spoke to Alan on 151 who offered to call me back later to check again to see if an engineer attended. He called back, seemed genuinely sympathetic that the SFI engineer was a no-show and popped me on hold while he went to see what had happened. After listening to the lovely hold musak for a couple of minutes I heard another voice on the line that said something like "...you have contact matrix...", I said "hello" and then the call was ended.
All together now...
Oh Dear! Spoke to Rohan at BT who claimed that the engineer appointment wasn't actually booked. at 1941 hours he said that I would be called back within half an hour and agreed to give me 1 month line rental plus another 6 months; in fact he said that I could have everything that I want.
Didn't get the callback (quelle surprise!) and when I called back and spoke to Eeva she advised me that my call had been directed to her team because the Wholesale Dept (which I understand to be a BT Retail team that liaises with Openreach, and presumably the team in which Rohan sits) had pushed the fault back to Network Faults (Eeva's team); seems that their IVR can flag calls from specific telephone numbers to be directed to specific desks.
Eeva has booked another Boost Engineer (despite my advising that one attended last Wednesday) and was unable to push the fault back to the Wholesale Team and has raised a new case instead; seems that someone on the Wholesale Team likes to sabotage systems and customers rather than doing their job.
I will be contacting OfCOM in the morning to accquire a telephone number for the chairman's office; with any luck there will be sufficient footprints on BT's systems to justify pushing any wrongdoers out the door.
I have flagged this to the forum mods, but they've declined to be involved despite CraigS's offer.
This certinaly sounds frustrating and I stand by my original offer.
I have had a look through our email inbox but I cant see anything there from you. If I could trouble you to send again please I'll get an eye out for your response and sort it as soon as it comes through.
I held off taking the OfCOM and BT Chairman's office route but haven't heard anything else. It's anybody's guess if an engineer is coming tomorrow. There was a missed call from BT this morning but no message was left.