Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
graemerd
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

23 disconnects today and counting

Go to solution

Hi, appealing to the forum for help as my 4th call with India today (since the original call I made on the 17th April) has left me with the answer "wait until we call you back on Friday 27th April.

The original call was about broadband dropping connection / slow speed.  After a very unstable day of connections I called the help line.  I've checked filters, tested the master socket, physically binned a cordless phone and replaced it with a new corded phone on a new filter etc.

On Thursday last week the call I had with India advised leave to stabilise until Monday (today) - over the weekend the connection dropped once a day - downstream speed has not moved from 568Kbps and upstream has been an equally appalling dial up speed of 40Kbps.

Today, Monday 23rd April, the connection has dropped 23 times.  India called at 3.30PM, ran me through a speed test which concurred with my terrible speeds shown by the Home Hub 3 software and advised me now to wait until Friday.

Do I really need to put up with this many disconnects until Friday?

Here's the latest speed test and ADSL line stats.:-

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed  0.23 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.5 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.23 Mbps

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.

IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed  0.37 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps

Additional Information:

Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Connection Information

Line state: Connected

Connection time: 0 days, 00:05:31

Downstream: 568.3 Kbps

Upstream: 531.6 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38

Type: PPPoA

Modulation: G.992.3 Annex A

Latency type: Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up): 21.1 dB / 6.2 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up): 54.3 dB / 29.8 dB

Output power (Down/Up): 14.1 dBm / 12.6 dBm

FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

CRC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 1

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

HEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2004 / 488

Any help for an approach that will get some action sooner than Friday much appreciated!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: 23 disconnects today and counting

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

I read you had tried the master socket but did you try the test socket if you have one behind bottom detachable half of the master?  do you have other sockets in your home apart from the master?

is quiet line test quiet?  dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
graemerd
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, yes took the lower half of the main socket off and used the test socket.  It's not conveniently located for the computer so I've gone back to an extension socket that has always been used for the computer.  Quiet line test is quiet.  No sky box or alarm or anything else on the other socket.

Broadband dropped while I was typing this!

I notice noise margin has been very up and down on every reconnect - right now downstream showing as 2.4Mbps and upstream as 159Kbps, noise margine down/up as 6.5db/9/9db.

Is the reconnection likely to be something actually been done to the line at the exchange? 

Our local exchange is Moreton in Marsh and we're a little out in the sticks - I remember a previous BT engineer visit bemoaning a constant problem with the local cabinet I think.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

it would help if you could connect to the test socket at least for a few days and then post your router stats.

have you removed the orange bellwire from terminal 3 as it is know to cause problems with your broadband 

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
graemerd
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Wow - disconnected the bell wire, downstream speed up to 3Mbps never before seen in these parts and noise margin down to around 6db with a latency type of Fast.  Connection has held for half hour so far so hope it continues.

Thanks IM Jolly.

Graemerd

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

your welcomeSmiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
please keep us posted:)
0 Ratings