cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

2nd July 2013 Update Causing Problem - Can't Record

Since 2nd July (and therefore I'm guessing related to the 2nd July software update) I can't set recording from the programme guide and all my scheduled recordings have disappeared. Accessing the recordings I already have takes over a minute to even show the list. The My Guide section seems to be completely messed up (huge pauses when you try and do anything) but the rest of the menu system seems okay although there also seem to be some performance issues when channel surfing with audio cutting out.

• My scheduled recordings have all disappeared
  • I cannot set new recordings by pressing the R button during viewing, although the system then hangs for around a minute before you can do anything else
  • I cannot set recordings by going into the program details and selecting record in the guide, and it hangs...
  • I've tried recording via the Android app too, with no success.

So basically, I've lost all my scheduled recordings and can't recording anything new!

During TdF Week!

I'm not the only one:

http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/cant_set_recordings_in_the_guide_or_manually_record?

I know it only appears to be two users at the moment, but this smells like a bad software update to me.

The software versions now are:

Manufacturer Software: 13.4.0

Component Software: 1.6.0

Platform Configuration: 490

ISP Configuration: 33

HELP!

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 20

Re: 2nd July 2013 Update Causing Problem - Can't Record

Hi pessable

I am really sorry that you are having problems.

I'll be happy to lend a hand and get this sort out for you.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

I sent a message via the contact method you requested.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Well, I received no reply to my message via this forum.  

• I tried the Contact Us service on the BT website, but there isn't a contact number for BT Youview
  • So on Thursday I tried the BT Vision support service since that was the closest and entered into a web chat
  • Despite saying up front that my enquiry was about a Youview box, not a BT Vision box, the web chat person spent several minutes asking questions about the fault before saying it was nothing to do with them because I didn't have a BT Vision box.  They gave me a number for the Youview department, which of course had just closed at 7pm.
  • I tried the Youview department when I got home on Friday at 6.50pm, and was hold for 30 minutes before giving up.
  • I called the Youview department today (Sat) at 2.40pm and got straight through.  Only it turns out it's not the BT Youview department, but Youview themselves.  They said that the problem sounded like a faulty software update or a subscription problem.  But either way it was a BT problem and that I should call BT.
  • So I called BT and somehow got through to a technical department, but they said I didn't have BT Vision.  I told them that I knew that, but I wanted support on my Youview box.  They said I needed a BT Vision subscription for my Youview box to work.  I explained that the box had been working until Tuesday and they said it couldn't have been because I didn't have BT Vision!  They said I needed to call the Order Confirmation department and gave me a number.
  • I called the new number and spoke to someone who said that it was a technical problem and I should speak to the technical department.  I explained what the technical department had already said and they said "Oh, we're Sales, not Order Confirmation" and proceeded to transfer me through to the Order Confirmation department.
  • Eventually, the Order Confirmation department were able to confirm that I had had BT Vision Essentials, but I hadn't been paying for it so they had cancelled it.  They could see that I had paid the activation fee back in February, but since I wasn't paying for it I had been getting it for free.  I explained that I didn't want On-Demand streaming or anything, just the ability to record terrestrial TV.  They said I needed a BT Vision subscription to do that, but they weren't very certain and put me on hold on more than one occasion to double-check.  In the end he came back and said that they would credit my activation fee but they would have to charge £5 per month extra on my account for the BT Vision Essential package.  Against my better judgement I conceded to this because I was just so fed up, and in the long run it woud only cost me an extra £11.  (£49 activation refund + 12 months at £5).
  • Anyway, whilst he was attempting to implement this he suddenly decided to hand me over to a colleague who he felt would better be able to help me.  I thought this might be a shift change or something, but the new person in Dundee explained that when I had taken out my 18-month contract in Feb that my package included BT Vision Essentials for "free" as part of a special offer.  But now that they didn't have the special offer any longer the computer had wiped my "free" package off my account.
  • So she would instead give me a 12-month free BT Vision Essentials package and a £5 credit for the extra month required to take me through to the end of my 18-month period.  But this couldn't be activated immediately because taking out a new Essentials pack would expect a lead-time for them to send me a new box, so this couldn't be activated until Wednesday.

To be honest I'm still not sure whether my Youview box is going to spring into life come Wednesday, and there is no reason why I should have any confidence in that happening. 

Furthermore, I though the whole priciple of Youview was that it was subscription free, with the OPTION of on-demand pay TV.  From what's been said at the end of my 12-month contract I will have to continue to pay £5 per month even to record terrestrial TV.  Otherwise the BT box will become just a freeview brick with no record facility.

I'm not sure many people are aware that getting a Youview box via BT is not the same as getting one from a shop. In essence it's "locked" to BT Vision.  And the admistrative systems and customer service from BT is so poor that they may remove it on a computer whim.

Eeven if it's working again come Wednesday, I will have no recompense for the shows I've missed or the 3+ hours I've spent trying to resolve the situation which was comepletely of BT's making.  I've been on the telephone for 1h45m just today!

Not good enough.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 5 of 20

@pessable wrote:

From what's been said at the end of my 12-month contract I will have to continue to pay £5 per month even to record terrestrial TV.

Not even remotely true. 

The recording function is part of the core YouView system and cannot be turned on or off by BT or anyone else. Your BT sub covers only access to the BT Vision Player, no other functions or features.

@pessable wrote:

I'm not sure many people are aware that getting a Youview box via BT is not the same as getting one from a shop. In essence it's "locked" to BT Vision.  And the admistrative systems and customer service from BT is so poor that they may remove it on a computer whim.

Also untrue. the box wil work - record, display TV, rewind, let you access catch-up content - with or without a contract. 

The only thing you can't access without a subscription is the BT Vision Player. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

@MartinH wrote:

@pessable wrote:

From what's been said at the end of my 12-month contract I will have to continue to pay £5 per month even to record terrestrial TV.

Not even remotely true. 

The recording function is part of the core YouView system and cannot be turned on or off by BT or anyone else. Your BT sub covers only access to the BT Vision Player, no other functions or features.

@pessable wrote:

Also untrue. the box wil work - record, display TV, rewind, let you access catch-up content - with or without a contract. 

The only thing you can't access without a subscription is the BT Vision Player. 

As MartinH says you don't need to BT Vision Player to record

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

That's good news, and what I thought was the case.

BT said I have until Tuesday lunchtime to cancel my new 12-month "free" BT Vision subscription.  Since it's free I would happily continue with it, even though you say I don't require it.

But this all suggests that this is going to have no effect on whether my Youview box can record terrestrial TV come Wednesday.  So I'm going to have to face another couple of hours on the telephone talking to people who are ignorant.  And I mean ignorant in the nicest don't know what they're talking about sense; they've all been very polite.  Well, mostly.

Please can you direct me to somewhere official where it states that terrestrial recording is part of the core functionailty of the Youview system and doesn't require a subscription.

And many thanks for your help both.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 20

@pessable wrote:

That's good news, and what I thought was the case.

BT said I have until Tuesday lunchtime to cancel my new 12-month "free" BT Vision subscription.  Since it's free I would happily continue with it, even though you say I don't require it.

But this all suggests that this is going to have no effect on whether my Youview box can record terrestrial TV come Wednesday.  So I'm going to have to face another couple of hours on the telephone talking to people who are ignorant.  And I mean ignorant in the nicest don't know what they're talking about sense; they've all been very polite.  Well, mostly.

Please can you direct me to somewhere official where it states that terrestrial recording is part of the core functionailty of the Youview system and doesn't require a subscription.

And many thanks for your help both.

Actually the onus is on YOU to tell us what's wrong with the box in a clear, concise fashion which leaves out all the extra and unneccessary commentary.

Start with:

1) Are you certain it's a YouView box and not a Bt Vision box (do the menus and EPG show the YouView branding?)

2) Who set up the box for you

3) Have you connected it to your aerial

4) How have you connected it to your TV

5) What happens when you press record via the EPG 

If you provide facts and easily understood information I'm sure one of us will be happy to help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

@MartinH

Maybe something I said gave you the impression I was demanding something from you - that really isn't the case.  I was just after some concrete information that I can use to explain to telephone support why they've got me to subscribe to BT Vision unnecessarily and that my core problem hasn't been resolved.

I felt that my original post was fairly concise and without extraneous commentary, although I appreciate that my subsequent post was a bit ranty (but in my defence I had just spent 1h45m on the phone baging my head against a brickwall).

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, it's definitely a BT Youview box.
  2. I set the box up myself.  It was working fine for 4 months.
  3. Yes, it's connected to my aerial.  Live pause and rewind still works fine.
  4. It is connected via HDMI to my TV
  5. When I try and record it hangs for 30 seconds, but no recording is set.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 20

@pessable wrote:

@MartinH

Maybe something I said gave you the impression I was demanding something from you - that really isn't the case.  I was just after some concrete information that I can use to explain to telephone support why they've got me to subscribe to BT Vision unnecessarily and that my core problem hasn't been resolved.

I felt that my original post was fairly concise and without extraneous commentary, although I appreciate that my subsequent post was a bit ranty (but in my defence I had just spent 1h45m on the phone baging my head against a brickwall).

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, it's definitely a BT Youview box.
  2. I set the box up myself.  It was working fine for 4 months.
  3. Yes, it's connected to my aerial.  Live pause and rewind still works fine.
  4. It is connected via HDMI to my TV
  5. When I try and record it hangs for 30 seconds, but no recording is set.

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Who spplied the box to you? If it was BT then the subscription is madatory in return for the box.

At a guess I'd suggest your box's software is corrupted at that you need to do a factory reset to fix it. 

0 Ratings