Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: 2nd July 2013 Update Causing Problem - Can't Record

@MartinH

Now you're confusing me because on the 6th July you stated:

The recording function is part of the core YouView system and cannot be turned on or off by BT or anyone else. Your BT sub covers only access to the BT Vision Player, no other functions or features.

But now you state:

Who supplied the box to you? If it was BT then the subscription is madatory in return for the box.

This is the essence of so much confusion when I'm trying to get help.

I spoke to Youview last night and they weren't sure despite consutling with their colleagues, so they have escalated that question.  I went through to BT again and they said a subscription wasn't required so concluded it was a technical problem and put me through to technical who were adamant a BT Vision subscription *was* required.

I'm going around in circles so I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens on Wednesday when my BT Vision account is re-activated.

One thing for certain is that BT should clarify the sitiation on the website somehere.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 20

It is a simple question.
The answer might help a great deal.
Where and how did you acquire the box?

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 20

In the main my YV boxes have been great.

However one of them displayed strange behaviour last week when nothing was being displayed in the EPG. I don't recall how I got it going again but it would have been either of the following:

1. Turn off the box and then poer it off for a few minutes using the physical switch at the back of the box. Then switch on and try again.

2. Enter maintenance mode to re-download/install the latest software. This assumes THAT THE YV BOX IS CONNECTED TO A VALID/WORKING INTERNET CONNECTION. Details of maintenance mode is here: http://www.youview.com/support/kb/how-do-i-perform-a-maintenance-mode-recovery

Never tried it but there is an option to perform the software re-load and keep recordings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 14 of 20

@pessable wrote:

@MartinH

Now you're confusing me because on the 6th July you stated:

The recording function is part of the core YouView system and cannot be turned on or off by BT or anyone else. Your BT sub covers only access to the BT Vision Player, no other functions or features.

But now you state:

Who supplied the box to you? If it was BT then the subscription is madatory in return for the box.

This is the essence of so much confusion when I'm trying to get help.

I spoke to Youview last night and they weren't sure despite consutling with their colleagues, so they have escalated that question.  I went through to BT again and they said a subscription wasn't required so concluded it was a technical problem and put me through to technical who were adamant a BT Vision subscription *was* required.

I'm going around in circles so I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens on Wednesday when my BT Vision account is re-activated.

One thing for certain is that BT should clarify the sitiation on the website somehere.

No contradiction in what I said.

Recording is a core, non-charged for feature of the box.

But if you got your box from BT they only provide it for free if you subscribe to the BT Vision player at £5 or £12.50 per month. Therefore if you got the box from BT you weren't conned, as I recall you suggesting, into paying a subscription for the Vision Player content.

If you bought the box retail, then you were never under any obligation to subscribe to the Vision player and you've wasted your time contacting BT for tech support as only Humax - the box maker - and retailer will be able to help you.

Really not sure why you keep endlessly confusing yourself and reading more into things than there is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 15 of 20

Hi Pessable,

I am really sorry for the delay getting back to you.  I am afraid the Mod team have been very busy lately.

I have had a look through our inbox and can see your email there.  You'll get a reply soon.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 20

@MartinH

Ah, right, I see that you're distinguishong between the "box" and the "service".  Some of my confusuon has stemmed from the fact that I didn't even realise that I had the service because it was "free" for 18-months.  I had forgotten that I paid a £49 activation fee.

The box came from BT and, yes, I thought I was getting the Youview box (and Freeview recording) included as part of my 18-month package, which I now realise also included 18-months of BT Vision service (the on-demand stuff) for a an activation fee of £49 and a monthly rental of £0 per month.  At the end of my 18-month period my monthly charge for the service will increase to £5, unless I cancel my BT Vision subscription.

But BT are now telling me that I need the BT Vision Service to get the core features of the Youview box.  This is the crux of my problem.  They say that my Youview recording will start working at 4.15pm today when the BT Vision service, which they mistakenly removed, is re-instated.  

- If it does start working today I face a battle because I didn't believe that the Youview recording functionality and the BT Vision service were linked (and I will have to pay £5 in perpetuity to record terrestrial TV).  

- If it doesn't start working today I face a battle because my box is broken.

Personally I'm expecting the latter.

MartinH, I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to reply.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 17 of 20

@pessable wrote:

@MartinH

But BT are now telling me that I need the BT Vision Service to get the core features of the Youview box.  This is the crux of my problem.  They say that my Youview recording will start working at 4.15pm today when the BT Vision service, which they mistakenly removed, is re-instated.  

The person you spoke to is wrong. That was the case with the old BT Vision boxes, they needed a subscription to even boot. It's not the case with the YouView box which is why you don't see anyone else here with a box they can't record on.

Nothing BT does can stop or enable recording.

I suspect you have a software issue and may need to do a factory reset via the YouView box's settings menu. But I would wait for the mods to come back to you first. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 20

Well, my activation day came and there was no difference to the service.  Calling support didn't get me anywhere either.  They still insisted I needed a BT Vision subscription, but accepted that there was a technical issue with the box.

Although it was highly irritating, because of my existing recordings, I did a factory reset.

Everything is now working fine again.

I'm an IT graduate - what chance does the average person have of negotiating this stuff.  BT have made the proposition so complex that even there own staff don't know what they're doing.

Thank you all for your help, MartinH in particular.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 19 of 20

I am having the same problems since yesterday. My you view box stopped working midday and I was advised to switch it off and then switch on again. I did this and youview box was working in that I could view tv etc but later in e evening when I wanted to record some program's that evening it took ages to load relevant pages but then failed to take the instruction to record program. It is still not accepting instructions to record programs, I have only had box since July and am paying £5 per month for is and I also paid activation charge. Obviously if this is not corrected within next week I will expect BT to refund me payment for period I am unable to record programs as this is what I purchased box etc for!!!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 20

I'm afraid in my situation, the only thing that helped was to do a full reset (it's on the settings menu in the Youview menus).  Unfortunately, this will mean that you will lose your existing recordings.

The £5 per month has nothing to do with the ability to make Youview (terrestrial freeview) recordings.  The £5 per month is for access to on-demand (i.e. down your broadband line) content.

0 Ratings