Message 11 of 28
Moved:

Re: 2nd home hub 5, Infinity still keeps disconnecting frequently

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 28

still no better. Someone from BT tried to ring me today and left a message to say - we hope it's all working now, we'll call back to see if you still have a problem.

Brilliant.

Anyway I still get lots of disconnects. I tried the quiet line test - seems fine to me.

Any suggestions? 9980 is due at the weekend so perhaps that will help.

Mods/sages, I think I've tried everything you've asked me to do and posted all the requested info - any more ideas?

thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 28

You seem to have tried everything you can do. From other posts the tplink 9980 appears to really help give a stable connection when the hh5 fails

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 28

thanks imjolly - I'll let you know what happens when the 9980 arrives.

Incidentally, one other bit of info that may be interesting.

Additionally to the disconnects, I also experienced wifi problems. These showed as frequent interruptions to Wifi and happened independently to the line disconnects. I think the hub was becoming completely unavailable, even if you tried to ping it over wired Ethernet.

I'm not getting this any more, but I'm not exactly sure why. Things that have changed

- replaced HH5

- I set the HH5 to use fixed channels for 2.4GHz and 5 GHz (rather than auto channels). I'm still using the same SSID for both (i.e. sync 5GHz with 2.4GHz)

- increased wifi coverage in the house by adding a couple of extra access points

This is not conclusive (don't see why improved Wifi in the house would stop the hub from disappearing from wired ping, for example), but it may be of interest to some of you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 28

i have been getting disconnections since october last year and still no fix you get used to it in the end

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 28

TP link 9980 turned up today, installed and working.

It's not particularly hard to set up. I used its microfilter but kept the BT VDSL lead as it's longer.

I'll let you know what happens!

BTW, I notice that DLM appears to have been active - the speed had got down to 29MBit/s on the HH5 from its initial 40. Perhaps it will go up again now.

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2

Annex Type:Annex A/B/L/M

Upstream DownstreamCurrent Rate (Kbps)Max Rate (Kbps)SNR Margin (dB)Line Attenuation (dB)Errors(Pkts)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 28

Probably dropped due to all the changes which you making to try and improve the connection and now line is stable the DLM will reduce noise margin and increase speed - but could take a few weeks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 28

LOL I think it dropped because the HH5 wouldn't stay up for more than about 2 hours!

but yeah we'll see if it comes back up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 28

well the saga goes on. After a couple of days with the TP link router it was clear that the line disconnects were still happening! Possibly less frequently, but still there.

BT told me that there was a line fault and that they would get an engineer (=technician 🙂 ) to look at the problem.

I asked "will they need to get inside my house?" and was told "no, definitely not, the fault is outside your premises".

Imagine my surprise when I had a call from my wife this morning telling me that a bloke had turned up and wanted to get in the house...

Anyway... sigh....

It turns out that some genius had T-ed the incoming wire to the house on the front wall, upstream of the master socket, and there was lots of horrible old wire hanging off it. He's disconnected all of this, fitted a VDSL faceplate to the socket, and reset the DLM.

Fingers crossed that THIS will fix it!

I'll keep you posted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 28

if engineer reset the DLM is your speed back up to max?

0 Ratings