cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 66

£3.00 per month for BT Sport inHD

Just got an e-mail saying that if I want to watch BT Sport in HD it will cost me £3.00 per month from August.

I get BT sport through my Sky box and also have BT Infinity

Am I still going to be able to watch anything on BT Sport after August if I don't pay ?

0 Ratings
65 REPLIES 65
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 66

Re: £3.00 per month for BT Sport inHD

Anyone who ordered BT Sport before Aug 1st 2013 got the BT Sport HD extra for free for 12 months. The email is just telling us (I got it today as well) that from Aug 1st 2014 we will have to pay £3 if we want to continue with the BT Sport HD extra.

It doesn't affect the normal BT Sport SD offer.

See here for info on that. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Sport/BT-Sport-continues-to-be-free-for-second-2014-15-season/td-p/12...

As the link in the email says, it's up to you whether you are happy to pay the £3 for HD from Aug or phone up and cancel it and just watch in SD. If you do nothing they will start taking the £3 for HD.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 66

And £6.75 p/m for the sport if you don't re subscribe for another 12 months for broadband.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 66

On the BT Sport Forum someone posted

"just checked with my supplier (virgin media) and don't affect my account and checked my e mail and have no notification of this extra charge ,"

So it looks like if you are with Virgin Media you don't have to pay any extra for BT Sport in HD, but if your with Sky you do even if you are a BT Infinity user.

Strange.

Anyway if I have to pay an extra £3.00 per month to get HD I will ditch it and watch it on SD

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 66

sky is contracted through bt. virgin buy from bt then re sell it themselves (it is only free if you have there xl package) what they charge or don't charge is down to virgin
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 66

@RJ414i wrote:

And £6.75 p/m for the sport if you don't re subscribe for another 12 months for broadband.

Are only those using Sky boxes affected by that? This page implies so. 

http://www.broadband.bt.com/espresso/4_generic/

I'm on BT TV and have had no communication about that.

From next season BT are charging 3 different rates for the BT Sport SD pack (it mentions this in the terms and conditions). So my guess for next season is as follows.

• Full discounted rate:  £0
  • Loyalty discounted rate:  Possibly £6.75 on Sky and £0 on BT TV ?  (not sure about this though)
  • Full price:  £12

The loyalty discounted rate is I think for those who want it next season, still have BT broadband, but don't wish to commit to a further 12 months BT broadband in order to leave their options open.

As previously mentioned, none of this applies to BT Sport on Virgin Media who resell it themselves and have their own pricing and offers. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 66

I renewed my broadband about a month ago and was told I'll continue to receive BT Sport free, will I now need another new contract or will the existing "new" one suffice?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 66

if you have BT sports HD then if you want to continue with HD then you will need to pay £3pm and need to do nothing.  if you don't want HD and pay £3pm but quiet happy to revert to SD then you will need to cancell the BT sports HD before 1st August

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 66

No email came through for me. It came in the post in a junk mail style envelope.
Wish they would address this and send it in a envelope marked important !
Last time they sent an important piece of information in a junk mail envelope the letter was missed and filed in the usual junk mail manner. Causing an unhappy customer and many avoidable phone calls to BT and ultimately a refund from BT as the company could not provide evidence that I had been notified of a change to my contract.
Things are a little better but still a long way to go on the customer service side of the business
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 66

Just cancelled my BT Sport,but whilst on the phone the chap said I had it FREE until the end of my contract which is December 2014 and there was no need to cancel.

Being sceptical of what i'm told by BT operatives I cancelled it anyway,I don't want hit for a bill in August because I won't extend my contract.

0 Ratings