cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 66

Re: £3.00 per month for BT Sport inHD

I have finally received a letter explaining about the price changes etc. At the end of the letter there was a note stating 'we sent this letter as we were not able to contact you via email', with an email address they were trying contact me on and advice to change it at MYBT.

Strange I thought I havent used that email for about 2 years, am I going in mad, I am sure when I stopped using it I changed important services to my new one.

Popped into MYBT and as I thought my email is the new one, there is even a secondary email I have put in, but neither of them is the one BTSport are trying to contact me on Smiley Surprised

Doesnt bode well when BT is unable to look at the correct information about my account Smiley Surprised

So maybe BT on the letter instead of advising me to update my details you should update yours because I surely cannot!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 66

@billyflem wrote:

Just cancelled my BT Sport,but whilst on the phone the chap said I had it FREE until the end of my contract which is December 2014 and there was no need to cancel.

Being sceptical of what i'm told by BT operatives I cancelled it anyway,I don't want hit for a bill in August because I won't extend my contract.

Looking at the current terms and conditions  section 45 says

The full discounted rate for BT Sport will last for as long as you are within your minimum contract term on a BT Broadband contract. If you choose not to renew your BT broadband contract at the end of its minimum term you will lose the full discounted rate, but providing you keep your BT broadband, you'll start paying the loyalty discounted rate per month for the BT Sport Pack when your contract term expires.

so your BT Sports in SD would have been free until your  minimum contract term ended in December

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 66

@zulu17 wrote:

so your BT Sports in SD would have been free until your  minimum contract term ended in December

... and possibly still free after that if on BT TV?

There still seems to be a lack of clarity about the loyalty discounted rate (for those who don't want to commit to BT Broadband for another 12 months).

My 12 month broadband contract minimum term ended recently and I spoke to the Customer Options Team. One of the things I asked about was BT Sport. I asked for confirmation that I would still get free BT Sport from Aug 1st without committing to a new broadband 12 month minimum term. They said no I would have to renew. I said that is not what your web site says. They went away to check, came back and said sorry I was right, they thought I was on a Sky box but see I'm actually on a BT TV box. No need to renew broadband to get the free BT Sport SD again for another season on BT TV.

That's why I posted earlier with the question about whether there might be different loyalty discounted rates depending on the type of box.

I still haven't renewed my broadband, but I have now cancelled the BT Sport HD pack from Aug 1st as I'll probably add it again myself using the web site via the HD Extra bolt-on after Aug 1st. They said they could set the system to add HD Extra automatically from Aug 1st, but I said I would rather do it myself whenever I decided to. Avoids any chance of getting charged £3 twice. Smiley Happy 

Note that you don't have to give any notice for cancelling the BT Sport HD, but they can set it to end at a date in the future (such as July 31st) if you want to do that.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 66

@zulu17 wrote:

@billyflem wrote:

Just cancelled my BT Sport,but whilst on the phone the chap said I had it FREE until the end of my contract which is December 2014 and there was no need to cancel.

Being sceptical of what i'm told by BT operatives I cancelled it anyway,I don't want hit for a bill in August because I won't extend my contract.

Looking at the current terms and conditions  section 45 says

The full discounted rate for BT Sport will last for as long as you are within your minimum contract term on a BT Broadband contract. If you choose not to renew your BT broadband contract at the end of its minimum term you will lose the full discounted rate, but providing you keep your BT broadband, you'll start paying the loyalty discounted rate per month for the BT Sport Pack when your contract term expires.

Strange that when you read this,it says you are required to sign up for a further 12 months,

http://www.broadband.bt.com/espresso/4_generic/

I originally signed up for the BT sport but it's been far more hassle than whats it's worth,also with the lies I have had from BT I really don't trust them,I'm sure there will be a loophole in there T&C's somewhere to either tie you to a longer l contract or start charging you for it............sorry but I can't trust BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 66

Just cancelled HD sport - I cant justify extra payment for something that should be a standard. BBC dont charge extra for HD - just another BT money maker.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 66

@SRT wrote:

Just cancelled HD sport - I cant justify extra payment for something that should be a standard. BBC dont charge extra for HD - just another BT money maker.

Sky do

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 17 of 66

The BBC do, in a round about way, through the licence fee.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 66

The additional charge for HD is certainly a point for debate. There are different arguments for different charging models, but no perfect answer.

Personally I would like to see all providers move towards including HD as standard without extra direct charges. Keep things simple, spread the costs and encourage more HD equipment sales.

A similar situation exists with unlimited v limited data allowance broadband packages. Gradually providers are moving towards unlimited for everyone and I feel BT are lagging behind a bit on this. Of course it still has to paid for and there are always going to be winners and losers. The simplicity of HD as standard or unlimited data as standard should though mean some savings for providers in the areas of ordering / account management processes and support.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 66

It's no surprise just had a call from BT saying that from August BT will be charging me £6.75 per month to watch BT sport via my skyHD box.

But as a valued customer I can have it for free........IF I sign up for another 12 months.

Please refer to my earlier post I cancelled BT sport last week but whilst on the phone was told I had FREE BT sport until my contract ends in December,yet another lie,glad I went ahead and cancelled.

BT are a terrible company who try to confuse there customers with constant lies,they are the scum of the earth with underhand tactics to try and tie there customers down.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 66

But you did actually cancel BT Sport. It might be the case that the BT systems are now treating you like any other new BT Sport subscriber and saying you need to commit to 12 months BT broadband in order to get the free BT Sport offer. If you hadn't cancelled then things might have been as you were originally told (free until December)?

0 Ratings