cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zampano
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

3 month+ wait for a phone line...

I placed an order with BT on the 2nd of December 2011 to provision a new line in a new build property in the city centre.  3 months on and still waiting.  Have been told the next update will be on the 27th of March which basically means it's going to have been 4 months without even a phone line!  And after that i'm fully expecting them to come back with the same rubbish excuses and give me another date a month down the line.

From what i've read on here i'm having the same issues that many other people have faced when dealing with BT about this.  Constantly told 'line plant work' needs done, going for a survey, bureacracy is slowing it down, it's with this or that department, etc.  When i spoke to someone this week i was told that Openreach had found a blockage and that the council needed a 30 day notice period before allowing any works to go ahead.  Why has it taken 3 months for them to find a blockage in the ducting?  Had they actually even done anything since the order has been placed?

Incredibly frustrating when you speak to BT and they can't help you and just repeat the same stuff over and over again.  I tried to complain to Openreach about this and they tell me that i have to deal with my line provider (even thought it's openreach that are causing the hold up!).  I honestly may as well just start banging my head off the wall as i'm not getting anywhere with BT or Openreach!

How the company manages to function i have no idea.  Seems like there is no internal communication and BT certainly don't seem to bother contacting me to inform me for the reasons behind the delays.  Every time i have wanted an update i have had to chase BT myself.  Very, very poor customer service from such a large company.

It's also not just my flat that is affected either.  There are 2 new build blocks with 16 flats altogether and no one has a phone line in any of the properties, yet openreach seem to have no interest in fast tracking this order! 

I could understand the delay if i lived in the middle of nowhere and there were no lines laid but i'm in the city centre surrounded by other blocks of flats that all have phone lines, etc.  I just don't see how BT/Openreach can justify taking this long to do the work.  It's also unacceptable that when the 'update day' arrives i speak to BT and get given another date a month away. 

The customer is clearly powereless as all my complaints and concerns have basically been ignored.  I've now complained to Ofcom about this and i believe that residents of the other flats will be doing the same as this is an unnacceptable level of service from a company that basically has a monopoly on the market.  I think i may as well also email Anne Robinson on Watchdog as no doubt other people have complained about this to them. 

Is there anything else i can do?  How can i find out if BT have done LLU in my area so i can see if another ISP can supply me with their line?  I'm seriously wondering if BT are ever going to be able to supply me with a line or not.  In an open market a company that treated it's customers like this would have gone bust a long, long time ago.

thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: 3 month+ wait for a phone line...

If its a shortage of line plant (cable pairs) then it will be affecting all service providers that deliver over copper pairs, not just BT.

Sometimes there is very little that Openreach can do, apart from wait for permission to do civil engineering work, especially in a city centre.

LLU still uses the same line plant, so it will not help you in this case.

0 Ratings
Zampano
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Well i don't know if that is the issue as BT have been very uncommunicative reagrding this whole order.  I think they just didn't bother doing a survey for the first few months and have been lying to me about it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Surely that wouldn't make business sense as they'd not be generating income from a provided line.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

As Keith has posted there is nothing that can be done if there is a shortage of line plant Openreach due to OFCOM rules have to treat all providers equally so getting service from any other providers will like wise be unavailable I must say i am surprised that the developer's had not had the basic infrastructure installed at the time of building before the properties were occupied
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Zampano
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

The internal cabling in the building has been done apparently.  It's just the run from the exchange to the building that is causing the issue. 

Can anyone tell em how i could find out where my local exchange is?  There is one of those green BT boxes about 10 metres outside my front door but presume that this isn't the exchange as such?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

What do you mean by, 'The internal cabling in the building has been done apparently'?

Do you have a telephone socket in the property and if so does the faceplate have Openreach written in the top left hand corner of it?

Also you mentioned it is a new build property, unsure why but I am seeing more and more cases of property developers building houses/flats and not arranging for Openreach to install the line plant during the build process when it would be so much simpler and instead leaving it up to the person who buys the place. My best guess is the developer is not very good at what they do, which would concern me or they are not doing it to save money, which again would concern me because it would make me wonder where else they have cut corners to save money.

At the end of the day you say you live in a City Centre, these places are a nightmare for all utilities companies because the red tape they have to go through with local authorities to allow them to do thing like put up temporary traffic lights or dig holes is rediculous.

Openreach will be sorting, you will just have to sit tight.

0 Ratings