cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

36 days with line fault / no dial tone - affecting area, can't select not fixed on fault page

Go to solution

On the 19th of September my line developed a fault: no dial tone, incoming calls rang but when answered i only hear the rining sound the other caller would be hearing.

its identical this this person's fault...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/No-dial-tone-but-phone-rings-and-when-I-answer-I-hear-the-phone/t...

I reported it to BT and they said no fault was found (their line test has never shown a fault once), engineer come out twice and said its a fault affecting many people in my area in the cable under a busy road near a nearby school and will require roadworks etc to fix.

Twice now bt have marked the fault as fixed but its not, no repairs in the street have been done.

the real insult is that on the BT site theres a button called "not fixed" when i click this and type a explanation it just spins and says "required field" which is a website fault reported many other people...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/Website-bug-Track-your-fault-can-t-report-fault-not-fixed/td-p/16...

after 36 days with no line, and massivley reduced infinity speeds (enginner said the internet still working was a miracle) it's turing into a farce.

Stupid thing is I pay quarterly and have already paid up until december for my service and any hint I've made on the bt live chat page about compensation / refunds is fobbed off with "i would be annoyed if that happened to me too".

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: 36 days with line fault / no dial tone - affecting area, can't select not fixed on fault page

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 12

Re: 36 days with line fault / no dial tone - affecting area, can't select not fixed on fault page

Go to solution

@IRH Thanks for posting, I'm really sorry to see the fault with your line is not sorted. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your BT account details and contact info, we'll be happy to chase this up with Openreach to find out whats happening with the repair. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

I've removed the references as the forum is public and visible to everyone on the Internet so it's best not to post that type of info.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

To the person who left the message earlier today, thanks for the update, I rarely have my mobile with me as I work at a high security data wiping company and don't even bother taking my mobile with me most days as I can't use it there.

It crazy how long its been taking but at least BT are accepting there is a fault now.

In a about 3 weeks I'll be receiving my next quarterly bill (Dec 3rd), the problem is should I pay it if the fault has still not been fixed? (I pay in advance so am owed for the last 7 weeks of outage at least) and as I have yet to get any indication of what if any comensation I'll get for this fault, but if i dont pay it I'll get cut off anyway.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
You will get a refund of daily line rental from after the first 3 working days until the fault is cleared non payment does not only get service cut off but your account get passed to debt collection agencies with the result of damage to your credit rating
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Just the line rental, not the actual phone package costs? If thats the case I might as well cancel my service anyway no point paying for something that can't be supplied.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
There is no point in cancelling and changing providers as you may incur cancellation charges and the problem with your line will follow you to another provider as they all use the same Openreach infrastructure unless a cable service is in your area
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

They've got me well over a barrel then.

So I'll Keep paying the £65 per month for "hanging on by a thread" broadband and zero phone service in the hope they fix it and get a fraction back for the trouble when they finally do.

While is might be openreach's responsibility to fix it, it's BT's disasterous handling thats caused it to take this long in the first place. I'll be downgrading to Infinity 1 with just the weekend calls once it's sorted - I wont yet though as I'd have to start a new contract.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
If as you post roadwork's are needed this may need traffic lights road closures diversions etc this needs permits issuing by the local authority this can take time also other contractors may be needed to do the dig work

this website may help you could check for works in the area roadworks.org
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

On Saturday Openreach put up trafic lights and done the nessesary work - I suspected somthing was happening as my internet kept cutting out and when I picked my phone up I could hear loud beeping instead of silence, a while later I had a dialtone and my internet was back up to 75mb and was able to make calls - for about 3 hours.

The line went dead again while I was in a call, I assumed the work was not done and thre line would work again later.

I spoke to the openreach guys on my way into town and they said they are doing the final checks and it will be all done but when i returned home the line was still dead exactly as before.

Now, either they have to do somthing else, or they dislodged something when they where finishing up.

0 Ratings