cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 11

3D Movies at the cinema

Over the last two weeks I've seen two 3D movies at the cinema and yes they were good, but I really didn't think the 3D element (and the extra £2.00 charge at the cinema!) added much to them.

Fair enough, one of the movies I went to see was the Lion King which is ancient (and still my favourite childhood movie of all time), and admittedly the intial scene was actually class in 3D, but that's about it.

Am I the only one that feels this way about 3D films??? (Apart from Avatar. It was really good)

And I had to laugh, when I walked into the cinema there was a huge banner for The Phantom Menace announcing it was being re-released in 3D. Wouldn't be like Lucas to milk the franchise...

/rantover

Stephanie

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 11

Re: 3D Movies at the cinema

Not a big fan of the 3D stuff either.

I thought Avatar was a bit meh also. I have gotten a bit of a play about with the Nintendo 3Ds tho and I did like it.

I like the look of the new mario game on the 3Ds too, apparently the 3D works very well on it.
If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
Customer2011
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

*passes Stephanie a glass of wine and some chocolate to cheer her up* Do you feel better after your rant? lol

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 11

Oddly, yes 🙂

@Chris aye I heard the 3DS's are meant to be good, never seen one though.

I was given an ordinary DS and only ever used it to play one of the Mario games, so that was money well spent...

Stephanie
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

I've enjoyed quite a few 3D films at the cinema, but some it's true were a waste.

Daft but I really enjoyed 3D train your dragon.

But the best 3D film has to be Avatar in my book...

just watching that video reminded me how beautiful the colours were and as for the 3D effects of those white seeds floating around.... brilliant.

I wish Cinemas would show Avatar again say over Christmas.

Sad I can't get up to London's Imax where Avatar Special Edition is showing 13th to 16th November if anyone's interested.

I have watched demos of 3D televisions and was very unimpressed... then the salesman decided to turn on the glasses and it was brilliant. But of course only watched it for about ten minutes.

I'm waiting for a friend to get a 3D TV and then try it for a whole 2hr film.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
randius
Message 6 of 11

I think they should only limit 3D to animated films because those look better since they are computer generated. Lately the whole bunch of convert random 2d movies into 3d doesnt seem to make them look or feel 3D enough. Only Avatar seem
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

never bother with the 3d versions they dont look any better then they do in 2d

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 8 of 11

@ PC hmmm it'll be interesting to hear whether a 3D TV will live up to expectation. I heard the glasses give you headaches etc but hear a lie, tell a lie! Keep me posted, I have a funny feeling my boyfriend (aka my beloved fad-fan) will be wanting to “invest” in one in the January sales and I can’t say I’m too keen on the idea 😄

@ randius welcome to the forum. Aye you have a good point there. Resuscitating old 2D movies into 3D seems to be the in thing to do at the moment...

@ jcampy I'm just going to do the same, unless something like Avatar comes out again (in which case it would be sacrilege watching it any other way 😉 )

All in all, this whole 3D thing has been pretty underwhelming for me. The goofy glasses 3D movies in VHS were the coolest thing ever when I was about 5, but I am yet to be convinced this will be the next best thing.

I wonder what they’ll come up with next? There is only so much they can do with a TV really, short of virtually catapulting you in the middle of a scene (which would be remarkable, probably. Up until the remote control broke and you were stuck in middle-earth or something).

Stephanie

Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
jcampy
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

I wonder what they’ll come up with next? There is only so much they can do with a TV really, short of virtually catapulting you in the middle of a scene (which would be remarkable, probably. Up until the remote control broke and you were stuck in middle-earth or something).

Stephanie

probs some sort Virtual reality thing a bit like you said where the picture is actually 360 degreee around

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

The first 3D film I ever saw was Avatar, and as it was a new experience, and because the film was so long and dull it gave me something nice to look at.

The second film I saw was Toy Story 3 and it added nothing, and I've never been to another since.

Luckily I think this is going to turn out to be a fad, and the rip-off will end.

Having said that, being a 35 year-old male obviously I'm going to pour more money into Lucas' pocket and watch all six films even though I don't even like the new trilogy! I do think the pod race might look good in 3D though. Hopefully when we get to the 3D New Hope Han will shoot first!!!

I've also seen one football match, in the pub, in 3D and whilst it did look good it wasn't much better than watching in normal HD; the camera shot behind the corner-kicker looked fantastic though. I also saw Klitchsko v Haye in 3D and it was amazing, unlike the actual fight. I also wanted to watch the darts, when that was on, but they weren't showing it.
0 Ratings