cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fretfdust
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

3rd party router not working anymore

A few years back I purchased an asus RT N56-U router which I was using along side the BT openreach modem instead of the BT homehub 2 or 3 I think it was. everything was working fine and it worked alot better than the BT homehub. A couple of weeks ago i moved address and took my internet package with me, BT supplied me with a new home hub ( 5 I think?) which has a built in modem and seems to work ok though it is quite basic and I get the feeling that I am not really in control of the hardware so I wanted to keep using the asus router with the bt openreach modem.

Tried to get it setup today with no luck. The openreach modem lights up ok, but only 2 of the 3 required lights are lighting up on the router.

when I try to access the router settings page at where it used to be ( 192.168.1.1 ) I get this message in chrome:

Unable to access the network

ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED

The connection to 192.168.1.1 was interrupted by a change in the network connection.
Check your Internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems or other network devices you may be using.

and this message in firefox:

Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-N56U.
To access the settings of RT-N56U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number.

The wireless is turned off on the router so I cant do what firefox suggests and I dont know what updated IP address and port number it refers to.  I noticed the settings page for the latest BT home hub is 192.168.1.254 so I tried that but seems there is nothing at that address. any ideas?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: 3rd party router not working anymore

Try a factory (pinhole) reset of the router.

0 Ratings
fretfdust
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

ok i have tried that and have progressed along quite abit.

basically the wireless is workign now and my laptop also works when plugged into the cable, however my main windows 7 64bit desktop cant seem to get connnected at all. in network and sharing centre it shows a red x before the internet sign.

i used to get this in the past and i would let windows troubleshoot it and it found some error in the dhcp server or something i think and it would fix it, however trouble shooting now is telling me that no ethernet cable is connected and i should connect one even though it already is.

i quickly fired up virtualbox and a linux mint host to see was the internet working on it and it isnt either, nearly seems like the Network interface card is screwed although its working fine with the BT home hub.

any ideas other than reinstalling windows 7?

edit:

under network connections i can see it trying to connect every few seconds but it always fails. "enabled...... identifying....... network cable unplugged.

"realtek PCIe GBR family controller"  device status: this device is working properly

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 18

You can either check for new drivers on the Realtek website, or you could purchase a new network card to fit in your PC. I don't recommend the latter if you don't want to (or are not allowed to) replace any of the components of your PC.
0 Ratings
fretfdust
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

a new NIC is an option i guess, I'll have a look for drivers a bit later.

the motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-V LX so going to the asus website and looking for drivers would probably be best?

isnt it strange though how it was working 100% fine at my old address and its working 100% fine with the new bt homehub now but not the old asus router.

0 Ratings
SuperSajuuk
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

The type of motherboard you have has no relevance, they will only have drivers for the BIOS on your mobo and not drivers for your network card. You need to go to the website of the manufacturer of your network card for drivers for the network card.

To put it another way: My mobo is an AS Rock, but I don't go to them to find drivers for my Realtek network card: that'd be like going to TalkTalk when you have problems with a BT service 😄

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Try uninstalling your network card, re-start your computer and let Windows re-install it.

0 Ratings
fretfdust
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

got the latest drivers from the realtek site but still the same issue, I will try uninstalling the drivers and restarting windows later today and report back.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 9 of 18

I would think that this would be an IP address/gateway issue rather than anything else.

On the laptop check to see what IP address you are assigned & what the default gateway is. Then check on the desktop & see what the network card is using.

0 Ratings
fretfdust
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

tried what gg30340 suggested and then I did a complete reinstall of windows 7 with the asus router and open reach modem connected, even after the clean install windows 7 still doesnt think a network cable is connected, yet connecting the BT home hub it works right away.

TimCurtis:

I will try that next but im not 100% sure how to do that, the laptop is running linux mint, while the desktop has windows 7 installed. I perhaps could find that out by connecting to the router setup page ie. 192.168.1.1 on the asus router which will give me that information on the laptop but on the desktop even the settings page wont load.

0 Ratings