Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 73

Re: 4 months and still rubbish.....

Go to solution

Ok after another engineer visit (Thats 4 or 5 so far), still no improvement.

Hub reboots on average twice a day, did have a record three days connected, then it rained and the hub rebooted.

I was getting a connection of about 1200k and a profile of 1000k, now the best I can get is about 1088k and that restricts my profile to 750k (Thats when it manages to get above 350K), the 88.6% (Or whatever it is) rubbish is a pain.

As I keep going over my 10gig limit by 1/2 a gig or so, it's likely I will have to pay more and go unlimited, why the (yeah bleep) isn't there a package between 10 measly gig and unlimited ?

I'm fed up with BT and their crummy connection, I'm outta here once my contract is up, and 5 months have gone already just trying to sort out a stable connection, I can pay a lot less for a crummy connection with another ISP.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 73

Go to solution

It sounds to me as if your hub is faulty.  But as you haven't posted the hub stats other memebrs are a bit stuck.  Seems like you're on a long line, and Business hubs are usually quite good on long lines.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 73

Go to solution

there is option 2 which is 40gb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 73

Go to solution

"there is option 2 which is 40gb"..... Yeah still more money for a terrible connection.

Already had a new hub. 

Latest stats, I know the hub's only been up for 37 minutes, but the connection won't get any faster and the profile won't improve even if it's online for 100 years.

According to the last person I spoke to at BT, I just have to live with the hub rebooting a couple of times a day.

I have tried a business hub for a few day's, just changed back, not a lot of difference, but I will try it again, it does "feel" better for some reason.

I can live with the reboots, no biggie, BUT I would at least like a 1000k profile, all I need is a few more "k" to get a 1000k profile, , as it is now it's like ISDN.

latest_12_08_11.jpglatest_speed_12_08_11.jpg

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 73

Go to solution

The stats show all:

You're on a very long line 5km long, after your attenuation gets 60dB the broadband service starts to become unstable.  I used to have a line attenuation of that but with various majorscale works done by Openreach the attenuation has been reduced to 65dB.  But the Home Hub 3 did not cope well on the long line it would hold onto the connection at the most for 4 hours.  Then I moved to using BT Business hub's which cope much better on long lines, and I've certainly noticed an improvement in connection.  The business hub would hold onto connection for 4 weeks at one time.  That is the best router you can get, and you can get them for £10 on ebay.

Also are you connected at the master socket and do you have a filtered faceplate like this?:

BT Openreach faceplate.jpg

0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 73

Go to solution

"Also are you connected at the master socket and do you have a filtered faceplate like this?:".... Yes an iplate, it has been connected to the test socket (Faceplate removed) with no improvements.

Router is plugged directly to that, PC is wired not wireless.

Telephone extention has been checked and is ok.

"That is the best router you can get, and you can get them for £10 on ebay."....... Yes I have one.

Like I said, I would be more than happy if I could just get a 1000k profile.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 73

Go to solution

You're on a long line, not much you can do unless you want to move closer to the exchange.  Business Hub and shielded RJ11 (ADSL) cable.  The Business Hub is the only thing I can see that will solve the disconnects.  because your line is long it will always disconnect but some routers will cope better than others, the Business Hub being one of them.

0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 73

Go to solution

Funny that the business hub shows the attenuation as 63 !!!

bh_stats_12_08_11.jpg

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 73

Go to solution

So does mine, but if you check this page http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_3 then you will see Downstream Attenuation at 300HZ, this is the actual attenuation figure and the most accurate one you will get on any router.  You should leave the Business Hub on and see if it gives you the stabibility you want.

This is mine:

Screen Shot 2011-08-12 at 15.37.48.jpg

0 Ratings
Park_Ranger
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 73

Go to solution

Yeah your lucky your connection is 1952k mines a poxy 1088K.

0 Ratings