cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rogil
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

4500k IP Profile, less than 350kbps throughput!

Can a forum mod please explain this performance please.

I've come onto the computer tonight at 9pm UK time to do some work, and find the internet almost unusable.

I've tried resetting my router, and my ADSL line stats seem fine.

However, my throughput has fallen through the floor. This is the BT speedtester as of around 9.20pm:-

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

This Test comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 321 Kbps

0 Kbps7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 321 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :5728 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 4500 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.

If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
SeanSAFC89
Beginner
Message 2 of 20

Re: 4500k IP Profile, less than 350kbps throughput!

May I ask what exchange you're on? I don't have a solution, rather it appears you're having the same issue as me that remains unresolved.
0 Ratings
rogil
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

This has only happened today. The net was laggy all day, but I didn't think much of it, until tonight, when its become almost unusable.

My exchange is Long Sutton in Somerset.

0 Ratings
rogil
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

10.41pm and the problem appears to have magically fixed itself. Speed tests now running near capacity at around 3.8mb.

I wondered if something had 'flicked over' at 10pm, but its literally only in the last 5 minutes the speed has improved.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

Hi it may have been caused by a network fault if it's. BAck to normal just keep an eye on it for a few days
0 Ratings
rogil
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Came back from work today to find the internet laggy and slow again.

Its currently 19.28pm The BT speedtester returned 3mb, which would be fine if it was genuine. It took an age to complete the test, almost to the point I thought it was about to time out.

From a practical point of vew, the web is very laggy, with pages often very slow to load, almost like I am getting my bandwidth in 'chunks'.

I then ran several other speed tests using speedtest.net (BT is limited to one per hour), and the MAXIMUM throughput I achieved was 1.11mb, with an a consistent low of 0.65mbs.

ADSL line itself seems fine, error counts remain stable, IP profile stable at 4500kbps.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

You look like you are on A hot VP (virtual path) at the exchange you could try contacting the mods and ask them to get it sorted for you
0 Ratings
rogil
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Exactly like last night.. come 10.40pm+ the speed instantly restores, ping times back down to 50ms, I can surf the web, watch videos, play online games.

Unfortunately, all of the above are impossible until then!

0 Ratings
zer0xvpro
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Most likely cause is as Guru said, the VP may be running hot, more than likely though because your speeds seem to improve after peak times it's somewhere in the middle between running hot and normal.
0 Ratings
rogil
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

I know the term is  'HOT', but I'd described it as unsuable the last two nights.

During the day and after 10.40pm its fine, but in the evening, its so bad, even sending emails can time out. Images on websites render down like in the old dial up days, and you can forget streaming any media or playing online games.

0 Ratings