Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 21 of 28

Re: 4g will be out in full by the time bT Infinity

just remeber lo if u have twin line or fttc ur copper wire will crumble faster witch im wondering when we get charged if there is an issue in side the property but outside pole and cab and exchange im begining to wonder if from the cab to the property because it leads to the house i think we will have even more repiar bills now think thats some think we all will need from bt wholesale before we take this kind of product on and by the looks of it the only full fiber option from bt is there 300mb mybe there 100mb where fiber is ran right to the property but i still think we will have to get upto 100mb or upto 300mb witch as we no that when virgin says 100mb u get what u pay for and virgin never chages when some thing to the line socket needs sorted even if u have fault hand set or bb equiptment if it was me really id look at moving property

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 28

@theriddlerz wrote:

but bt have a habbit of blocking the full download speed from day 1 ive notticed ever has ordered the fttc to the cabent and not that many people have manged to go hier than 30 meg and there speed slows down from day 1

Not sure who you have been talking to but most people on Infinity get well above 30Mb/s according to Ofcom's research where the average was 35.2 Mb/s (details here)

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 28

The line up until the master socket is Openreach's responsibility. Copper cables last indefinitely with many lines well over 50 years old in use and working well.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 28

I'm sorry theriddlerz but I don't agree with pretty much everything you've said. I'm not sure what you're getting at?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Jarroda
Contributor
Message 25 of 28

Sure you've all pointed this out but 4g and FTTC are not even remotely comparable.

For a start 4g is not really 4g at all; it's 3g LTE which is like 3.xG.

It's theoretical maximum bandwidth is that of the cell, not what you can expect sat at home.  That "max" is then shared between everyone that uses it.  In any normal area this means you'll get a small fraction of that available.

Latency will almost certainly be a big issue.

Signal will be effected by all the usual factors that presently reduce your phone signal.

Data downloads will be limited massively compared to the 40Gb / Unlimited services offered on most FTTC BB services.

And that's just a start I'm sure.

Perhaps in some far out rural areas this will be a good solution, but in general FTTC / FTTP is not under threat.

0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 28

@theriddlerz wrote:

just remeber lo if u have twin line or fttc ur copper wire will crumble faster witch im wondering when we get charged if there is an issue in side the property but outside pole and cab and exchange im begining to wonder if from the cab to the property because it leads to the house i think we will have even more repiar bills now think thats some think we all will need from bt wholesale before we take this kind of product on and by the looks of it the only full fiber option from bt is there 300mb mybe there 100mb where fiber is ran right to the property but i still think we will have to get upto 100mb or upto 300mb witch as we no that when virgin says 100mb u get what u pay for and virgin never chages when some thing to the line socket needs sorted even if u have fault hand set or bb equiptment if it was me really id look at moving property

I'm sorry, its rare for me, but I think I disagree with just about everything that you've said in this thread! Comparing 4G with any wired/fibre solution is like comparing apples with oranges not withstanding all of the usual foibles of wireless (latency,fade, variablity etc) It could be argued that FTTC is something of a halfway house to full fibre, but we should remember that for the most part  the capabilities of the technology are primarily limited due to regulation, whilst a copper circuit always has more variablility, in the right conditions FTTC could deliver in excess of 100Mb and the BT FTTP platform could be turned up to Gb speeds today if the market conditions and regulatory framework allowed.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 27 of 28

@dcullum, I agree entirely with you, I don't think I have ever read a series of posts in here containing so much incorrect or misleading information and opinion as theriddlerz' posts today. And it would have helped if he/she had avoided the use of text-speak!
@ theriddlerz - Regarding your post this morning about Infinity speeds, I have had 37Mbps+ download and 8Mbps uploads on my new Infinity installation every day at all times for my first week on it. Speedtest now, as I write is:
You won't be getting that from 4g in normal use, whatever that silly BBC report implies.
0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 28

D-ave,

I agree, and to add, here are my speedtest results taken just prior to this post

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1791725551.png

For me this is peak time, so I couldnt possibly complain!

0 Ratings