cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 30

Re: 4mb to house, 2.8MB from test socket

your download speed is controlled by your ip profile which in turn is set by your conenction speed.  easiest way to explain is to give this link http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MikeK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 30

Hello, thanks for the link.  normally the router is up in a cupboard with not much around it except a UPS and their power leads.  I've had the same speed readings from the test socket, from the upstairs socket and from the wireless tablet, from router and using Dlink mains adaptor.

How do I reduce the crc/hec errors and error seconds? line sounds ok but I only have a cordless phone to check.

Am I getting 4MB to the house but how can I tell when it drops, does it drop at the test socket? the faceplate, the router? would you be able to tell from the stats or are there other tests I can run. Everything electrical that might cause a problem that I can unplug I have, thanks fot the continued help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 30

if you are in test socket then I would leave there for a few days and check regularly to see if conenction stable - just check connection time at top of adsl stats

you can't get better than your test socket  - you can check this post for ideas on source of interference
http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MikeK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 30

Hello, I will do, speed was fairly stable at 2.4 MB with HH2, increase to 2.8MB with most speed tests but ADSL stats show 

Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 20:05:34
Downstream:3.938 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

this at the moment, I have unplugged nearly every electrical item, replaced filter and am plugged into test socket, BT wholesale speed test shows 2.8MB, I don't know what else to do, speed test show one result and ADSL shows another. Is it possible to lose 1.2MB from the test socket to a pc that is next to it? Also, how can I test the speed to the router and then the speed from it, it would be interseting to see if the HH3 is the problem.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 30

you have not 'lost' the speed it is due to the profile - if you read the link I posted that will explain about overheads and reason for profile

MikeK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 30

Hello, I have read the link (I'm not technical so please be gentle) and I note that my IP is 3MB, if the line is presently showing 4MB ADSL would a router that copes better with noise / interference be an option and then possible the IP would increase?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 30

there is nothing wrong with your speed as the link posted above explains your IP Profile is set by your connection speed and your download speed cannot exceed your IP Profile
MikeK
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 30

Ok, thanks John46 and Imjolly for all your help, really appreciatted. 

Kind regards

Mike

0 Ratings
koodokan
Beginner
Message 29 of 30

Is the socket that the alarm is connected to wired onto the removable faceplate?some of these alarm engineers are cowboys and wire their equipment to the main socket creating "star wiring" which will slow speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 30

From previous post OP confirmed that the alarm is filtered so that is not a problem.

0 Ratings