cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

5-10 disconnections a day, three engineer visits, two months and counting...

Hello everyone,

I'm posting on here in the hope that someone can offer me some advice, as all my hours on the phone/live chat, and three engineer visits from BT have not solved the problem.

I joined BT at the beginning of August, after moving into a ground floor apartment (house conversion c.1910ish).

I have unlimited fibre broadband and a Smart Hub 6. 

Since day one, the connection drops out at least five times a day, and usually more. I do not have to be on the internet for these drops to occur. The drop outs last between two minutes to an hour (since I registered and started writing this, it has dropped twice). It affects the boradband and the phone line.

The hub will usually go red, then orange, and back to blue. Sometimes it goes purple. I know through the guide these are all indicators of temporary loss of connection. 

Originally, BT sent out an engineer to the property. He switched the master socket for one with a broadband port at the top in the centre, and a phone port below, also in the centre of the box (the middle picture here)

new_setup_3.png 

We only use this socket for broadband and phone. It is right at the front of the property. Still we were getting dropouts.

BT then told us there was a fault with the main exchange outside the property. A wholesale engineer came to check this, but said it was fine.

The next engineer called and talked me through disconnecting all of the extension lines leading from the main socket to the three entension sockets in the property (which we don't use) - with the thought that these might be causing "feedback" on the line, and causing the drops in connection and phone. Again, this has not solved the problem.

It has been over two months now, and my fiancee and I are at our wits end with it! I work from home a lot, and the constant drops are making this so frustrating. We also cannot even think about watching or streaming TV, as we are lucky to get 20 minutes into a programme or film before a drop in connection.

I have spent so many hours on the phone with BT. And taken days and hours off work to be around for engineer visits. I have found the customer service to be pretty awful. On five occasions we have been promised call backs or messages and not received them. 

Please, if anyone in the commuinity has had similar issues, or can offer advice, I would be so grateful.

I don't think it can be merely a faulty Hub, as the phone line also drops when the connection does. At times the phone line is off and the broadband on. I have reported this too to BT, but nothing has been done about it.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Message 2 of 4

Re: 5-10 disconnections a day, three engineer visits, two months and counting...

@SimonE81 I'm really sorry about the disconnection on your BT Infinity. We'll be happy to help you with this if you use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: 5-10 disconnections a day, three engineer visits, two months and counting...

I have done exactly as you asked Neil, and have received nothing in response.

It is fast approaching three months that this issue has been going on for.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 4

Hi @SimonE81 and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry there's been a delay in getting back to you. I've checked our queue and you're almost at the top so we'll be in touch shortly.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings