cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjbaker1
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

£5.99 overcharge error on new BT package - shocking service and insinuation Customer was lying.

Hi,

Don't usually post to Forums but so furious with BT just had to express my views!

To set the scene...Customer of 10+ years, bombarded by emails and letters telling me that BT box sets, etc were going and if I signed for further 12 months I would get new YouView+ box and Netflix free for 12 months. Paying c£70 per month. Having looked at competitor sites, realised I was overpaying for phone and broadband but realised with delight that Infinity had arrived to our village.

Phoned BT on 30th March, 11.30am(ish) to ask what they could do in terms of a new phone/TV package as I wanted to reduce costs and get latest package as my contract had long since expired. Very nice lady spoke for 50 minutes about packages, best prices, etc and confirmed 18 month contract with first 12 month at £49.84 including Infinity, youview+, netflix (free 12 months), etc etc. Told equipment here 7th, engineer coming 8th. Delighted!

Roll forward just 4 days.  Written details of the offer arrive through the post today.

Package was as discussed, apart from the fact that Netflix was now only free for 1 month, not 12 months and my future monthly bill would be £55.83.  Phoned BT to express my concern about wrong charges. Told that they couldn't simply correct the future invoice and they would have to check the voice recording of the 30th March call to prove/disprove my claim. Would take up to 10 days! This would take me over my 14 day cooling off period!

We are simply talking about £5.99 per month here and remember that I had not only been clearly told my bill would be £49 but also that I had been bombarded with marketing material offering me Netflix free for 12 months anyway.

Insinuation is that I was lying - they would have to prove it, etc, etc

I called back to cancel my account this morning to get a MAC code as there was nothing Customer Options would do apart from take 10 days to research. Asked for an immediate MAC code...got told 10 days for it then 5 days then told straightaway then told not until after the 9th April!

I so want to stay with BT with all they can offer but after todays total lack of concern, disbelief of my claim and distinct lack of interest from operators who kept changing their information or not giving info at all - left with little option. But still can't cancel!!!!!  

Having asked for Libby Barr's address to write to (MD Customer Care) got told no idea and to check BT.com.

I work for a large corporate too focussed on Customer Service. We would do everything possible to ensure no such small error and inflexible service led to the loss of a valuable Customer.

Rant over!!!!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
RobbieMac
Message 2 of 6

Re: £5.99 overcharge error on new BT package - shocking service and insinuation Customer was lying.

Hi sjbaker1,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community forum!

I'm sorry that you've been quoted a different price from the one originally discussed over the phone.  I understand that you've been a long standing customer with BT and we do appreciate your custom.

Having a rant is completely healthy and there is no-one who agrees with that more than me Smiley Happy Definitely warranted in this case too!

No need to worry as I'll pick this up from here and straighten everything out for you.  Click on my username and under the "about me" section of my profile you'll see the link to get in touch with us.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
sjbaker1
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: £5.99 overcharge error on new BT package - shocking service and insinuation Customer was lying.

Robbie, thanks for getting in contact. Have contacted you as requested. Any help for obtaining the MAC code or otherwise will be great.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I know the forum mod team will resolve the original problem for you
0 Ratings
sjbaker1
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

John thanks...happy to leave positive feedback if something is actually resolved...have every faith that I have found a division of BT who might care 🙂 so very hopeful.

Appreciate the support

0 Ratings
thedweller
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

They did the exact same to me.

i got a letter telling me I could have free Netflix if I signed up to another 12 months of BT Phone & Broadband, thought it was a really good deal so I signed up.

At the end of the month I noticed that they had took £5.99 off me for Netflix so I rang BT customer care as I thought it was a genuine mistake, only to find the free Netflix was just for a month and if I was a previous customer of Netlfix in the past 2 years the offer of free netflix would be void, even though I signed up with a completely different email address as recommended by the BT customer care team.

As I did not know I was going to be charged the extra until I got my bill I was outside of the 14 days cooling off period so I am now stuck with BT for another 12 months as they refused to cancel my contract extension, at no time did it actually state that the offer was just for one month it just stated Free Netflix.

I too am a long serving BT customer but once this contract is up I will no longer be, using unscrupulous tactics to con people into extending there contracts is dispicable, shame on you BT.

0 Ratings