cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

50% slower sync speed since moving to BT

I have recently (18 June 2013) moved from O2 to BT as I didn't want to be a Sky customer. I'm now wishing I'd stayed!! Since the service went live I have had sync speeds approximately 50% slower than with my previous provider and the only change has been my ISP and their home hardware.

With my previous provider and their lovely old O2 Box II (Thomson Gateway TG585 V7) I was regularly seeing downstream (NOT download) speeds of 1.3Mb - 1.7Mb. I'm 1 pole away from the end of the line so I don't expect miracles and that speed was acceptable to me.

BT provided me with a lovely new shiny HomeHub 4 which synced, at it's maximum, at 864kb after waiting the obligator10 days 'settling in' period. I have raised this speed issue on multiple occasions with Broadband helpdesk only to suffer the usual inept technical responses and scripted lines. Operator services and options team agreed that this is not acceptable but they are not the teams to resolve my issue and helpdesk just want to wash their hands of me.

I raised a complaint on 1st July, for which I have an official VOL complaint number. I received no response from this complaint within 48 hours. I chased this up and asked to be sent a HomeHub 3, hoping it may be a chipset matching issue, as reported across lots of broadband forums. This hasn't helped. As of today, my downstream sync speed is 704kb.

I am not prepared to accept a drop in downstream speed of approximately 50% just from a difference in ISP and ISP provided hardware but BT have me locked into their 'once it's live you have to pay for the year' scenario.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can get this resolved??

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: 50% slower sync speed since moving to BT

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

as you have changed to HH3 and in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results .

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Router connection info   Connection information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 day, 06:44:27
Downstream:704 Kbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):7.3 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):63.5 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.4 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):1653 / 1185
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 39
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
HEC Errors (Down/Up):0 / 21
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):

0 / 0

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Connected with brand new BT provided filter to test socket in NTE5 master socket 1 phone connected to filter. No extensions anywhere.

Quiet line test has very faint 50hz over DECT phone (no cabled phone available)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

BTW Speed test results:-

Download Speed (Mbps): 0.46

Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.34

Ping Latency (ms): 152.50

Further Diagnostics

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.46 Mbps

0 Mbps1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.46 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.62 Mbps

When I "signed up" the speed quoted was between 0.5 and 1.5Mbps yet this test now shows the "acceptable" range is between 0.4 and 1Mbps. Convenient that the 0.4 is just below the download speed of 0.46 achieved in this test!!

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.34 Mbps

0 Mbps0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.34Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Whilst I accept any offer of assistance to cure this issue the question remains.....

Why is my new provider only giving me 50% of the downstream speed that my old provider did when the only changes has been the provider within the exchange and the providers hardware attached to the master socket in my premises???

Answers on a postage stamp folks!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

What would the difference be between HH4 and HH3, as per your statement "as you have changed to HH3"?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

As your previous provider was LLU you have changed to BT equipment so have a different connection in the ehange but same from the exchange to your home. You are on a long line shown by your 63.5 attenuation and as that is as high as router shows you may be considerably further.

Your noise magin is slightly higher than normal 6db leaving a little scope for sped increase

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

The hh4 does not show the detailed stats like the hh3

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

the LLU connection was ADSL2+ you are now on ADSLMAX that is likely to explain the speed difference you are on a long line which will never achieve a fast connection
0 Ratings