Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

52mb exisiting customers - BT Infinity Option 1

Go to solution

I contracted to BT Infinity Option 1 back in January 2016. 

As we all know, 52mbps is now the headline speed. 

On my Homehub 5's Helpdesk page, my maximum data rate is still the same at:  ~40mbps 

The Data rate is: 9999 / 39950

Clearly, my line is still capped.  

I've spoken with the sales and technical department, but they can't give me any informed answers on whether I need to recontract to avail from 52mb, and frankly, the agents I've spoken to can't grasp my situation.  

My line is capable of upto 52mb according to a BT Wholesale site I checked. 

Finally, my questions is, should my line still be capped, is it just a question of recontracting, or is there an error here?

Thank you!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: 52mb exisiting customers - BT Infinity Option 1

Go to solution
Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your help. 

Here is the screenshots you asked for:

btscreen.PNG

btscreen2.PNG

btscreen3.PNG

btscreen4.PNG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Just to add, not sure if it helps you, using speedtest.net I get far closer to the 39.99mbps speed than the one you provided.  Thought I'd add that.  Thanks

EDIT*  Just realised the forum rules asked for the screenshots, my apologies.  I will know this for future posts. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Was the speedtest carried out using a wired connection ?

the wholesale speedtest is the only test that BT accept for speed issues as it is saved on the BT Wholesale servers it is also used by other ISP's who use the wholesale network
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I see - and yep it was ran using a wired connection.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

have you tried connecting the hub to the test socket with a new filter this will eliminate any internal wiring problems that may reduce your speed as I notice your max data rate is only 40.3MBps you may not be able to achieve the max speed of your package  due to your distance from the cabinet

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Yep believe it or not I'm actually in the test socket now, and I actually plugged in a new filter about a month or so ago, it didn't make any difference to my speeds.  

My question I suppose now would be this, and I'm glad I'm speaking to someone who is informed, as opposed to agents who aren't fully trained, if I was capped at the old speeds - would that limit my max data rate to 40.3mbps, or should the max data rate always show what my line can support, cap or no cap?  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
your line will not support any speed faster than you are now getting the cap is the max rate of the package you are on it does not mean you will actually achieve it

the checker result shows the possible range of speeds your line will support
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I really appreciate your speedy help. 

I'll be honest - you've helped put an issue to rest ever since 52mb became the headline speed.

I always thought the 40.3mbps max data rate was not increasing as a direct result of being capped to the previous BT Infinity Option 1 max download speeds, as I had checked the DSL checker before and it said that I could get 54.5 (clean). 

Thanks again for your help, I'll have to live with 39.9mbps.  It's annoying, as BT have offered me the Option 2 package for an astounding £15 a month - such a pitty 😞

0 Ratings