Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

5GHz router connected to HomeHub2

Hello Everyone

I am thinking of getting a 5GHz dual band router as there is a lot of interference in my area (inssider gives my Homehub2 a link score of 50 on a good day!)

Am I able to connect the 5GHz router to the homehub via ethernet as a "secondary" router as we need the homehub2 for BTVision?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: 5GHz router connected to HomeHub2

You could use another dual band router as a wireless access point only, or you could buy a dual band wireless access point.

Either of those would plug into a spare Ethernet port on the home hub 2.

Bear in mind that the range at 5GHz is quite short, and you may be better using either a direct Ethernet cable, or powerline adapters, if your connected devices have Ethernet ports.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi Keith

my router is plugged in downstairs for the BT Vison and my other devices are upstairs (about 15 meters minimum) so ethernet is out the question. 😃

Would range extenders improve speeds?

How do powerline adapters work?

Thanks.

Dan.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Range extenders will not help if there is interference, they will only make thing worse.

Powerline adapters see

What are powerline devices and how do they work?

BT also have some options

http://www.shop.bt.com/learn-more/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-connectivity-devices-12466.htm...

The broadband extenders also use the mains wiring, but use a different standard than powerline adapters.

0 Ratings