cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

5Mbps

I have Unlimited Bt Infinity 2

A few months ago my BT HH5 started disconnecting various times throughout the day (Especially in the evenings). My broadband speed gradually started to decrease aswell and now it is at a ridiculous 5mbps dowload speed and 3/4mbps upload speed.

I read quite a few posts on these forums and found it a common ocurrance that the HH5 disconnects frequently and because i am out of contract i would have to purchase a new one for £99. Instead i decided to purchase a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 as a direct replacement. This fixed the connection issues as my internet no longer disconnected since i purchased the new router. However the very low speeds still remain the same.

I was on the phone before i purchased the new router and they said everything was ok with the line from their end. Since the new router i was on the Live Chat assistance and once again everything was fine from their end and they recommended i get an engineer in to check. I don't want to risk calling one and having to pay £130. I know they won't charge me if they find that the fault is not within my property.

I've done a quiet test and it was silent. I do speed tests throughout the day and it is consistant throughout the day.

Untitled.jpg

(This problem is very similar to mine) https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Infinity-2-Unlimited-speed-reduced-at-peak-...

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: 5Mbps

It is very possible that if you were getting repeated disconnects that DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has reduced your speeds in an attempt to maintain a stable connection.

If that is the case and your line is now stable and the disconnects have stopped DLM will slowly start to increase the speed again. This can however take weeks or even months to get back to the speeds that you had, if indeed it does get back to that speed.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Can you also post the connection stats from your router.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

ADSL check.jpg

Where do i go for the Router stats? sorry i am a bit of a noob with technology lol.

When i spoke on the Live Chat earlier today they asked me to switch routers to my HH5 to do the checks and has since been connected to HH5. Surely that will also not help with stability?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

if you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

The stats for the Home Hub 6 can be found on the Information page from http://192.168.1.254 then Advanced Settings -> Technical Log. 
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

1. Product Name:            HomeHub5

2. Serial number:            +076286+1542001864

3. Firmware version:        v0.07.06.01239-BT (TypeB) Last updated 20/6/2017

4. Board version:             01

5. VDSL uptime:              0 days, 01:26:00

6. Data Rate:                   3200 / 5799

7. Maximum Data Rate:    16018 / 30069

8. Noise Margin:              15.9 / 29.8

9. Line Attenuation:          16.6 / 15.7

10. Signal Attenuation:      0.0 / 0.0

11. Data sent/received:     49.3 / 125.3 MB

12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Are you connected to the master socket? Or an extension?

Do you have a dial tone? If you do can you dial 17070 and run the quiet line test.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

I'm connected to a Master Socket 5C. So both the phone and adsl cables are plugged in side by side without using a microfilter.

I have done the quiet test and is completely silient.

Can i plug my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 back in?
The wireless is much better throughout my house.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Do you have extensions?

There is a fault somewhere. You're estimated 66-80meg yet your attainable rate is less than half of the lowest estimated speed, indicting there's a problem.

Can you remove the faceplate from the 5C and connect to the test socket with a filter (assuming you have extension wiring, it doesn't matter if they're being used or not, they can still cause interference even if unused).
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

I dont have any extensions. Only the 1 master socket
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

You need an engineer visit. Nothing more can be done internally.
0 Ratings