cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pav33
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

60204 is a premium number?

Ok, I know it is a small rant compared to the others - however after replying to an "All text are absolutely free" poll - I got charged 10p per sms as premium on my Virgin mobile sim.

That's low. For whoever is responsible (be it Virgin or BT) - it is so low, it is borderline infuriating.

Which makes me wanting to contact whatever commission is overseeing premium numbers/charges and just having a go for the sake of it.

Please, if there is a moderator reading this - ask someone on your team to contact VM and sort this out. Would appreciate if you also ask them to refund their customers aswell (cause I bet it is not only me who they stung).

I know it looks small, but this thing smells bad once you factor in all the people who sent their feedback to you...

11 REPLIES 11
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: 60204 is a premium number?

you need to deal with virgin as it is their network you are using
0 Ratings
pav33
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

@john46 wrote:
you need to deal with virgin as it is their network you are using

Actually it could very well be BT charging where they shouldn't.

What I'm trying to say is while VM might be at fault it is BT who are advertising this so called poll to be "Absolutely for free", so it is their responsibility to sort it out with the competition.

This would end up either with complains towards TS, Offcom or whatever commission deals with premium numbers or people being dettered from answering to those texts. In either case it's bad for BT.

I'm not delusional as to whether I will get my money back from VM, however like I stated earlier I find this really annoying (being asked to pay for helping them out) and will make sure this thing does not stay under the carped...

XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 12

Premium No. regulator is Phone-paid Services Authority , but I'm not sure that is a Premium No. as it's not found on their website. It's just a shortcode.

Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Happened to me also. Not much 10p but it was an unexpected cost for what? VM says they are partly to blame but BT must own up as well.
0 Ratings
dial1899
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for the heads up, I've got a Virgin SIM as well, just a well as the BT line is not working well.

I just relised I've been charged 20p (2 texts) for arraning a follow up appointment (first 2 missed....) to 61998.  Now BT have sent through a survey to 60204 asking me how they did.  I've got a choice to tell them (at my expense), or ignore the survey.  I'll be ignoring it.

To the person above who says blame Virgin, well no, I blame BT.  The short codes are categorised as a premium text.  BT know this - or should if anyone reads these boards - and for fault/survey resolution BT should ensure that the number they ask you to text is not a premium rate.

0 Ratings
tester1066
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Hi,

This is a BT issue, The SMS generated informs the recipient that the messages are 'absolutely free' to respond , Which I suspect they would be from a BT mobile. However, VM and O2 will charge because these are not in the 'free'  number ranges(namely 07 for mobile messaging) .

VM send similar messages for feedback, However, They will use numbers within the mobile number range 07 which will be 'free'(if included within your minutes) from any network, So BT should do likewise and send messages using the full number not 60204 instead displaying the full 07 or 447 number.

I suspect you need to pass the problem to either Ofcom or ICO and if possible, Send an image of the text informing you that the text is free(when it wasn't).

I too believed it wasn't worth fretting about the odd 50p here and there, However, If BT send out a few thousand a day, That's quite a bit of revenue.

PS, I used to carry out support for BT et al  on their main exchanges when they were unable to resolve problems themselves.

0 Ratings
dial1899
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

OK, you've spurred me into action, I've sent a complaint letter to BT asking for my £0.20 back.

Oh, and as they missed 2 appintments and failed to restore the line in the 2-days, there is another £21.84....

Perhaps more importantly than the £22.04 compenstion, i've asked BT to confirm to me in writing that they "will immediately cease from texting ‘All texts are absolutely FREE’ to virgin mobile subscribers when you know this to be false."  I'll let you know what sort of reply I get.

0 Ratings
Noggle
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

The same happened to me today after a call to 0800 800 150. When I pressed "Send" to provide my feedback text message, my phone indicated that there would be a charge to my mobile account. Sending requests for feedback using a Premium Rate number is pretty shabby in itself, but I believe it's illegal (or at least against consumer guidelines) to request responses to a Premium Rate number without including a warning about the cost. There was no warning in the text.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

This clearly needs a moderator to feed this back to BT if the text originates from them. 

I get surveys all the timem, usualyl from my GP but they use an 07 number. 

Seems like BT need to start using a standard 07 number not a shortcode! 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings