cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 73

Re: 67kbps speed is a joke right?

I do have a sky box, It isnt connected to the phone line though. How does it interfere with the router? So far as I know the sky box doesn't transmit anything wirelessly? And even when I connect via ethernet I have the same problem. Not to mention that during last night the sky box was switched off and my ip profile is back to 135kbps. the BT mods on this forum have told me that the problem is due to aluminium cables they also said that because of that, they wont help me any further with the problem.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 73

It was too good to be true. Back to 135kbps ip profile

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
    108 Kbps

0 Kbps    250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 108 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :960 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 73

Errors all over the place... Awful router stats.. Come on BT what is going on??????

ADSL line status

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 5:35:14
Downstream960 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)6.2 dB / 14.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)61.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)15.8 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)1207
Loss of Signal (Local)1039
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)2518541 / 2
CRC Errors (Down/Up)57434 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 3
Error Seconds (Local)9
0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 73

dsl connection rate slipping further, ip profile still awful

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
    114 Kbps

0 Kbps    250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 114 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :288 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

0 Ratings
NanoTm
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 73

Re: Errors all over the place... Awful router stats.. Come on BT what is going on??????

well like i said aluminium lines are able to run 2meg stable unless something else is causing the problem, the sky box was an idea based on soemthing that happened to me personally several years ago however if yours wasnt switched on then clearly its not causing a problem for you.

however the fact you managed to get a 2meg connection proves that your lines will carry a connection at that speed, so the reason for the drop back down in your line speed and ip profile is something causing problems on your line, most likley tis soemthing outside your home thats causing you to loose bb signal, any number of unshielded electical items can cause this car engines, motorbikes, dodgy street lighting a microwave in some one elses house, a high res joint in the line, water causing cpaticence in the surface box, a dody drop wire are but a few.

the main problem is your line is trying to achieve a stable connection and everytime it improves  whatever is causign the interferance comes back and triggers the disconnects and which result in the drops, if it was xmass time i would of pointed to dodgy old xmass lights, but given that its failry random it would tend to suggest some form of vehicle was the main culprit, especially as you managed to get a decent sync rate.

if it were down to one of the more mundane problems like hi-res joints or dodgy drop wire then its unlikley you would of managed to get a stable sync rate at the higher speeds.

best bet is to see if you loose signal everytime one of your neghiebours starts there engine, if you do then you have your culprit.

also you router shows loss of signal local as a count of 1039 which would suggest your no able to maintian a connection to the router, so its possible soemthing in you house is causing that loss, if your connected via ethernet is the cable cat5 or cat6? normally there shielded cables so interferance is removed, if that is the case then change the settings for your ethernet adapter so that it is no longer power managed and see if your errors keep climbing.

0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 73

Re: Errors all over the place... Awful router stats.. Come on BT what is going on??????

Those stats were collected by the router last night whilst my laptop was switched off, I turned it on this morning and interrogated the router, then got the stats. The loss of signal is based on adsl signal down the phone line isnt it??

Im rural and have 5-6km of cable between me and the exchange. im quite sure there is nothing local that is causing the interference but I am also quite sure this is down to interference, even BT think it is.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 73

NanoTm is spot on with his suggestions.  You can look here for some more things that can cause problems and here for a few ideas about how to try and track them down.

Depending on the cause, the problem could be anywhere between your house and the exchange.  Phone, or other electrical problems in another property, even one hundreds of meters from your home, could be the culprit.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 73

yeah cheers, the cables are for the most part burried on the way up to the exchange, there are two options I have, one is to visit all the farmers on the land the cables cross and tell them to switch off electric fencing and to scrap all there old mechanical gear or for BT to replace the cables and junctions with copper.

Or I can just keep calling BT's India crew, they almost without fail send an engineer who turns up and says there is no point him being here. I know it, he knows it, BT knows it but India doesnt. By the time I leave here, BT will have handed over to openreach a sum of cash roughly equal to replacing the cables. From my point of view though, if my router is flashing orange or I have excess noise on my phone line, there is a fault to be reported.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 73

We are in a similar position - and I've been trying to find the source of our problem for over 18 months.  BT know the cause, but can't find the source (which would give us grounds to press OFCOM harder than we are) and won't spend the amount needed to upgrade our existing aluminium backhaul.

The choice for many rural areas (and some in cities too) is fairly depressing.  BT aren't going to give you "Infinity" or even reasonable speeds over replaced copper.  So you've either got to sit there and take it, move house, or do something about it yourself - lots of us are.

Don't know where in the country you are, but this might be of interest.  The rest of the blog might give you some ideas of what else you can try.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

0 Ratings
mikejones
Aspiring Expert
Message 30 of 73

Thanks mate, I've read that blog before. To be honest I have done all I can to find the interference locally with no luck. BT do have REIN blokes they can send out but I dont know how to get these. One of the BT engineers that showed up said that there are some teams but they are rarer than hens teeth and a last resort.. And the teams don't have the right equipment?? Dunno about that, most of the BT blokes that show up, well openreach as they are now, have a derisory opinion of BT, even worse than mine, if that's possible! 🙂 Highest on their gripe list is the tracker fitted on the vans, they dont like that the boss knows where they are.

I am going to move house (in a couple of years) to fix my problem, next place will still be rural but closer to the exchange and I will test the broadband connection myself before signing anything! The annoying thing is that my local pub is less than 1km away and they enjoy close to 4mbps, I know as they have unprotected wireless and I lord it up with my ipod when I'm up there (not ilegally, they leave it open for the customers as they have no neighbours). just 1 more km of cable and the connection is rubbish so all BT would have to do is spend a few days checking that stretch of cable and then bingo.

Are there any tools I can use to look for errors myself, just BER checks.. If there are how do I loop them back? It would need to be PC based and something that will work through the V2 router, Oh and keep logs. Cheers. Mike

0 Ratings