Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vjordan526
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

7 months and still no phone line!!!

Go to solution

My mother and father moved house in September, since then they, myself and my husband have been ringing, emailing, etc to try and get a new phone line installed in their house. We now have a cable in the ground, a pole which wasn't put up unil January! Now they have said they can't connect it as there are no lines available in the exchange, so it won't be connected until mid April if it is then. They have probably just set up another line connection (as they have done numerous times and then had to cancel it)not noting the fact there is no line to connect! No one seems to talk to one another or understand the problems. But 7 months is just ridiculous. I am running out of people to contact, ringing BT seems to have no affect in resolving the issue. Anyone had a similar issue, and managed to get it resolved? Or knows who to contact? 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: 7 months and still no phone line!!!

Go to solution

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT do not get any special treatment.

Its sounds like there is no capacity to provide any more lines at the moment, there is not much you can do until this has been installed.

Your best option at the moment, would be to get them a mobile phone to use.

0 Ratings
vjordan526
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. Luckily they do have mobiles, but a ridiculous amount of time to get to this stage anyway. Also with the exchange it is a very small village they live in, they have moved from one house that had a phone line to one 500yrds down the road. The house they used to live in is unoccupied, there have been no new people move into the village, and they want to keep their same phone number, so can't they just used their old line at the exchange? 

Anyway like you said open reach actually carry out all the work, so I will try contacting them. I doubt my parents shall want to go with BT in the finish anyway as they are just so difficult to talk to. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
Openreach do not deal directly with the public only with service providers like BT it is not as simple as using the old line there may be no available infrastructure near your parents new home likewise which ever provider you go with they all use Openreach to provide and maintain the network infrastructure
0 Ratings