cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philelliott
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

70MBPS line runs at 1MBPS...

I'm pretty much done with BT broadband - I'm locked into a contract, and there are no meaningful alternatives (eg Virgin) where I live, so I have no choice.

But something advertised (and claimed on the router) as over 70MBPS drops with alarming frequency to around 1-2MBPS. The HomeHub can't seem to cope very well with multiple devices (eg TV streaming Amazon, PC downloading on Steam) - and I'm forced to reset the router at least once per week... sometimes a few times because it doesn't 'take' properly the first time. I've checked, there's no shaping taking place. Here's a link to my latest Speedtest.net results...

The maximum speed for downloading I've ever managed to get via Steam is 3MBPS.

I've got the exact same setup as my old house, when we have Virgin Media and very few issues over five years. Wireless, wired and powerline networking all going great at the same time, maybe one reboot every 4 months.

The HomeHub is massively attention-seeking, and just not very good at its job. I'm assuming that, rather than a horribly patchy fibre network that's incapable of living up to its own claims.

Any suggestions for alternatives? How can I increase Steam download speeds? Is there a better router that can actually handle the demands of modern net usage without buckling every few days?

It's been 6 months now, and I'm fed up.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: 70MBPS line runs at 1MBPS...

There are plenty of third party routers that work well with Infinity. Are you steam downloads being don wired or wireless? What about your other speedtests? Note that downloads usually show in Megabytes whereas speedtests will show in Megabits, there's a difference factor of about 8 (8 bits in 1 byte) give or take a little for overheads. Can you run a speedtest at speedtest.btwholesale.com using a computer connected via Ethernet with NO other devices connected to the internet. After the initial test, run the "further diagnostics" test and post the results here please.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
philelliott
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

So I spent a few months testing various things. First of all thanks for the initial reply, here's some more information on my set-up (since now we also have BT TV, which seems to have complicated things). Any advice hugely appreciated.

According to the BT speed test the line is around 70mbps. We have a three-storey house, with the route on the ground floor. It's currently got a fairly high noise rating (around 15db) which I assume is down to having to reset the thing a lot. Parking that for a minute (as I know this affects the line speed for a period of time):

The HH5 is plugged into from ethernet port 2 into a black BT powerline plug; and from ethernet port 3 into a Devolo powerline plug from the same socket.

On the first floor, we have the BT TV Ultra HD box plugged into the second of the black BT powerline plugs. And a PC in the same room (different plug socket) connected to the second Devolo powerline plug.

We have a Smart TV, three mobile phones and 4 other devices periodically connected via wireless (some 2.4GHz, some 5GHz).

We aren't able to use any wireless products on the top floor, since the signal isn't strong enough.

Mystery #1:

For the PC (which is new and running a 801.11ac wireless card) if I unplug the Devolo powerline plug, the wireless signal is derisory. Max Speedtest.net speeds of 1-2mpbs, and dropping out multiple times per minute. This is despite it sitting next to a PS4 also on wireless that (according to its system) is receiving at around 20mbps. The card driver is up-to-date; the card is top end.

Mystery #2:

Well, not sure if this is a mystery, but if somebody can give an informed view, that'd be great. The PC gets decent speeds from Speedtest.net via the Devolo powerline plugs (around 20-25mbps) and it's waaaay more consistent. However, it falls off a cliff if somebody is streaming to the BT TV box. Now, I know that both powerline networks share the same connection, but even without 4K TV stuff the HH5 in this setup doesn't seem to be able to handle anything other than the BT TV box with any reasonable capacity.

As a comparison, at my previous house, I used to run PC via powerline and stream TV to a couple of wireless devices at the same time, yet speeds on all three were always super-high and consistent. If the capacity of the line is 70mbps, why isn't it being split across devices properly? Is this a line issue, or a HH5 issue?

Of course, I'm mindful that it could be an issue of competing powerline networks. If a pro was going to set this up, would you simply add in another black BT powerline plug for the PC and ditch the Devolo plugs? (Before BT TV came into play I had a pure Devolo network with route-PC-PS4 all on the powerline network, and it really didn't work... either the PC or the PS4 would get decent speeds, but never both at once). I am happy to invest in the right kit to make it work, but only if it's guaranteed to be a good use of money.

Mystery #3

Pretty much every morning when I get up (and the PC is off, so no draw from the Devolo network) the BT TV powerline plug has an orange light, and usually it can't connect to the network. Often, the Smart TV also won't be able to connect to the wireless network; despite it working reasonably well the night before. I need to reset or reboot the router to get it working again. Pretty much EVERY morning.

So I'm at a bit of a loss. I've tried talking to BT on the phone, but I'm getting stuck in a loop of "reset your router, ah now it's working, problem solved" - and then of course a few hours later it's unsolved again. I was also promised by one support person on the phone that they'd monitor the line for several days and phone me back on the following Monday... but they never did.

Any suggestions? I got an email saying Virgin fibre was coming to my area soon, but I suspect that will be months/years away. I have a contract with BT, I'd really like to get this working, but the level of problems I've had since the start are killing me...

Many thanks in advance for you patience and help!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

you should only be using 1 powerline network so unless you can pair the devolo to the BT powerline adapters or vice versa so you can use all the adapter but only one master conencted to the hub.  if you can't pair them all together then you need to decide which set to use

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
philelliott
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Okay - just sticking with Mystery #2 then, how would you ideally connect up one router to two devices using powerline networking?

Currently I have two Flex 500 (2 x the left-hand one on this page: https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-wi-fi-home-hotspot-500-kit-075598-9BRT.html), one on the router, one for the BTTV box.

If I buy another one of these units and plug into the PC, this will work smoothly?

Alternatively, the write-up of the BT units suggest they will integrate with other networks, so is there a specific way to do this with Devolo adapters? I can't find any options to 'set-up' the BT powerline adapters in order to go through a pairing process (other than holding down the Link buttons). There is Devolo software, but it doesn't pick up the BT adapters.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

the theory is that powerline adapters should pair with other adapters but in practice this more than often does not work.  if you decide that BT adapters are the ones which work best for you then you can get another unit and pair with your existing BT unit now giving master conencted to hub and other 2 position somewhere in your home for other devices

if you have more than one device in close proximity to each other then you can buy a simple switch which will give more ethernet conenction 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
kinthos
Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I've binned off (most of) my powerline adapters as I get better bandwidth from my Wireless gear. I also found I'd have to reset my powerline adapters on a regular basis. I do still use the BT one as the one I have is also a wireless hotspot.

I recommend a Wireless Extender/Repeater. The one I went for is the "TP-LINK RE210 AC750". Although I'd avoid Belkin and Netgear personally as I tried all 3 before I settled on the TP-Link one. I also invested in an expensive wireless card for my pc and get 750MB connection to the router - this is around 10 meters and 2 walls away. Laptops/tablets/phones in further reaches of the house connect via the main router or the repeater - whichever provides the best signal.

Most of the repeaters also have Ethernet ports, so you can still connect up cabled devices ad-hoc as you need.
--
If I've been helpful (or amused you) - Click the Star under my name. I'm Just another satisfied BT Customer. 😉
philelliott
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

Okay - thanks. I think I've discovered the problem with Mystery #1 as well (and tbh fixing that maybe makes Mystery #2 redundant...fingers crossed).

So we're just left with Mystery #3 - the need for constant resets/reboots of the router. To be honest, this has been a think for almost a year now, my frustration exacerbated periodically by particularly bad periods where we simply can't get through a show on Netflix without resetting several times.

Is this an line/HH5 issue, do you think?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

maybe solving 1 &2 will help/solve 3?

philelliott
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

I don't think so - #1 was only yesterday (new PC) and #2 only since installing BTTV (about 3 months ago).

#3 has been like it (sometimes better, sometimes worse) since original install almost a year ago.

0 Ratings