cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emuholic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 108

Re: 75mb to 3mb...

@Bullitt I have changed around the wired connections to different sockets and it is the same. In case you missed it, wireless is the same. So I do not think it is a wired issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 22 of 108

@sjtp wrote:

Or, a bit quicker but less official, goto http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

thank goodness for drsox

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 23 of 108

@emuholic wrote:

@Bullitt I have changed around the wired connections to different sockets and it is the same. In case you missed it, wireless is the same. So I do not think it is a wired issue.

sorry for all the questions im just running through my script here in bangalore 😉

ok question 13 is there any strange entries in the log on the homehum?-

0 Ratings
emuholic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 108

@Bullitt I had a look on the logs from when I last reset the home hub and the only issue I could see is below.

13:27:15,08 Aug.     HTTP Recv authorization success respond from:66.193.112.xx
13:27:14,08 Aug.     HTTP Recv authorization failed respond from:66.193.112.xx

and one a little later

13:40:35,08 Aug.     HTTP authentication Fail from 66.225.225.xxx

0 Ratings
55brianb
Contributor
Message 25 of 108

@Bullitt wrote:
@55brianb (isnt this forum software useless! is there any concept of threads?) you get your ip profile by running speedtester.bt.com and choosing the adsl/fttc diagnostics button

@Bullitt - no comment! 😉

Funny, but Firefox didn't show the diagnostics option.  Tried it in IE and the results are:

Download speed achieved during the test was 4.38 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 12 Mbps-69.35 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 69.35 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 26 of 108

what can i say
its working in my firefox but im happy to go with drfoxy from now on
ok so do all of the questions i asked emuholic do the smae for you?
what about log entries in the homehum log?
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 27 of 108

Odder, Firefox showed it for me.  I think there are a few servers behind the same bt speedtester address, and they sometimes have different versions of the test.  Which one you get is random.

The IP profile looks fine.

Test: You have almost certainly rebooted the router, or disconnected/reconnected it since the problems began.  If not, could you do that now, and then repeat finding the profile?

Reason: there are two intentional limiters of your speed.  One is the sync speed between the cabinet and your modem, managed by DLM.  The other is be IP profile/BRAS rate, which limits the rate the equipment at your exchange feeds your data to cabinet.   Normally, they should be almost the same, slightly different because they are measuring slightly different things.  They can get out of step, and in that case you will get the slower of the two.  Disconnecting and reconnecting the router will make sure the ip profile is set appropriately from the sync speed.    You can't find the sync speed directly without modifying the modem's firmware.  So the disconnect/reconnect and checking the IP profile effectively finds the sync speed.

I suspect that in your case there is something else that is unintenionally limiting your speed; I can't think what at the moment.  The above test will just confirm that.

Another test that may help is http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_capspeed.html  If you look at the speed tab after a test, it not only shows you the average speed, but the fastest burst speed it managed (the 'of about' figure).  That tells us a little more about the nature of what is slowing you down.  Not relevant here, but that tester is also the most reliable I have found for upload speed testing as well.

0 Ratings
emuholic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 108

@sjtp I have just rebooted the modem and home hub again and run the speed check. The results are the same:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.49 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-42.21 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 42.21 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8.53Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

I have no idea either why I am being limited, it should affect my upload speed as well but that is unchanged since the problem started. It it worth doing the 'Tap3 Test Configuration'?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 29 of 108

I have just rebooted the modem and home hub again and run the speed check. The results are the same:  I was afraid they would be.

I have no idea either why I am being limited, it should affect my upload speed as well but that is unchanged since the problem started. It it worth doing the 'Tap3 Test Configuration'?  I'm not sure what that is.  I remember from when I had problems there was an extra test that only showed up if the line was really bad (below 12Mb?).  Is it the one that asks you to change your login on the HomeHub?   If so it probably is worth doing.  I think that will help clarify whether the issue is in the BT Retail infrastructure (mainly exchange<->internet) or the Openreach infrastructure(mainly modem<->cabinet<->exchange).

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 108

Re: 75mb to 3mb... Just installed and its pants!

Just had Infinity 2 installed 1 hour ago and am already disillusioned 😞

I specifically asked the engineer what his line tester was reporting, and it was 73 down / 20 up. Excellent I thought.

We tested connectivity on my PC before he went and it worked, but didn't check throughput.

Now I find, like others here, that it's 3Mbps down / 18.5Mbps Up.

Compared with my ADSL2+ O2 connection whick was 13 Mbps down.

I cannot check my IP profile as the BT Speedtester site is returning an error saying that it cannot use my number. Maybe because the job hasn't been closed off yet (still showing as pending on My BT).

Have tried the modem reset and no change. It's not my home hub because I am not using the home hub. Have configured my Apple Airport Extreme as my router, which coped perfectly with my O2 Connection, and use homeplugs with 500Mbps throughput for the connection to the PC......

0 Ratings