cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

7th engineer booked this week , advice please

We had a unstable broadband connection since march 2017, I have just booked a 7th engineer to try and fix the problem.

Obviously I dont have much hope this will be resolve now, just wanted to see my options are.

I am contracted till Decemeber and bt wont offer compensation till the fault is fixed.

I have a bt smart hub with infinity which has been replace with a new hub and new filters etc

The hub drops to orange often and the last five engineers have not come to the proberty saying the fault is external.

Often after the engineer comes it improves , only to come back again especially worse at weekends. wireless only running in the house

Dont know what to do help.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: 7th engineer booked this week , advice please

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Tried the quiet line test , could not hear anything, Thanks anyway

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

all you can do is persist with the engineers it sounds like an intermittent fault
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi @GrahamHurley,

Let us know how things go with the engineer.

Thanks

Paddy

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

OK make sure you do a few things if you haven't already.

Keep notepad to hand, each time the connection is slow run a speed test and screen capture the results save the filename with date and time stamp as filename

Altneratively write on notepad date time it is slow.

This may enable engineer to detect any patterns of interference. 

Also the router has it's own connection history they can remotely access, therefore press for this to be analysed. They can see trending connection speeds between router and exchange. THey cannot monitor wifi speeds. 

Therefore if possible try direct connection, however if you are having orange moments i would hazard a guess this is connection issues back to exchange. 

ALso be prepared i was fed the same BS about unable to being able to refund until fault is diagnosed. I was then told sorry we can't refund we are not permitted to. Be prepared for this BS story, the call centers are trained paramount to show empathy and be apologetic and promise the earth but unfortunately it falls short from there onwards. 

Good luck

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

'Keep notepad to hand, each time the connection is slow run a speed test and screen capture the results save the filename with date and time stamp as filename
Altneratively write on notepad date time it is slow.
This may enable engineer to detect any patterns of interference.'

No need, the Engineers have access to BT Wholesale Test Systems that shows exactly what the broadband does, how it performs and every time the connection drops.

Comes in very handy as helps clear up discrepancys with how many times the customer says the connections dropped compared to how many times it's actually dropped.
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Sorry you are incorrect, there is need to keep your own records, and youll see i metioned this above already they do indeed have remote diag and historical logging. However on the first two occassions this was overlooked and wasn't addressed until i showed my own log. They (the 3rd engineer) then shared with me a graph illlustrating QOS (quality of service) along with spikes which tallied with my reported outages. 

Keep your own logs is my advice. 

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

ALso comes in handy when BT initially insist there isn't an issue and is a possible fault with the customers PC or internal wiring when in fact there is an external fault!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

My post was in jest. You know that X3 thing where people will alway exaggerate the true number.

Happens all the time. Most people are honest but when you come across the "IT Experts" who stand there and claim to know it's the DSLAM dropping the connection 101 times a day it's a picture to see their face when you show them the true figure and its realistically 0 times a day!

That's when they usually back track and start to stutter because they didn't have a back up bull **bleep** story.
0 Ratings